Go through network folders quicker?

Cheetoz

[H]ard|Gawd
When i use "view workgroup computers," and just start going through my second computers folder, it goes real slow. Taking up a long time to get to another folder. But using the other computer, which is about half the speed of this one, can quickly go through the folders as if it's going through folders locally.

Is there a tweak or something I can do to speed up going through folders on the other computer.

And I don't think it's just because the other computer is slower, because when my bro comes down with his comp, it goes slow for me also, but not for him.

Mapping it as a network drive speeds it up a good bit. I've run into that on more than one occasion. Going from 98 to 2000/XP in a large network shows a large difference. NT4 was not as slow.

I thinks this might help you a little bit. This was posted some time ago on another forum, it helped me alot under win 2000. Might be worth giving it a try.

"Here's a great tip (a bug actually) to speed up your browsing of Windows 2000 machines. Its actually a fix to a bug that by default of a normal Windows 2000 setup that scans for shared files for Scheduled Tasks. And its turns out that you can experience a delay as long as 30 seconds when you try to view shared files across a network from as Windows 2000 is using the extra time to search the remote computer. Note that though the fix is originally intended for only those affected, Windows 2000 users will experience that actual browsing speed of both the Internet & Windows Explorers improving significantly after applying it since it doesnt search for the Scheduled Tasks anymore. Here's how :

Open up the Registry and go to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace

Under that branch, select the key :

{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} - and delete it.

This is key that instructs Windows to search for Scheduled Tasks. If you like you may want to export the exact branch so that you can restore the key if necessary. This fix is so effective that it doesn't require a reboot and you can almost immediately determine yourself how much it speeds up your browsing processes. "

I hope it helps.

Nice. Im bookmarking this page.

I stopped using windows network neighborhood because of that reason. People would browse through it to look at my stuff, it would freeze up or crash, sometimes saying they didnt have permissions or never even list 1/2 of my shared folders.

Horrah for Apache and Ftp servers...

Edit:

Holy shit, damn that speed things up!

WOW that really works... i just thought some of my computers were slow, but this really speeds things up.

Thanks for the tip

i have a domain running, and don't notice the lag you guys are talking about... does it only do it on a p2p network??

QJ

A lot of the problem, as I mentioned in another thread, is that they are using system names instead of IP addresses. On your domain, Qwerty, I assume you have a DNS running, which speeds the search up considerably.

Back