giving new duties to an old desktop

badteddy

Weaksauce
hey guys! its been a while since i've posted anything. just needed some opinions on making a file server. its also going to be used as a basic media center as well. i was debating to wether or not use windows 2003 server, but i thought about how its not going to let me do anything flashy like watch movies or browse cool websites on the internet. basically whats going on is this machine is going to be a printer/file server, also the dvd burner will still be in use, and i will be hooking it up to a hdtv instead of a computer monitor.

so yea, my functions i need for this server is to stream media such as music and movies and be a printer server (all within my LAN).

also every once in a while sumone will utilize its dvd burning.

and the next thing will be to maybe be able to play the movies on my hdtv. (i've still yet to figure out how to hook it up to an old reciever for audio)

any advice is appreciated!

Any flavor of XP will suit your needs. You've got basic file and print sharing already. No reason to go with 2k3 Server.

thanx nate! i was thinking the same thing. is there anything i need to know when setting it up? or do i just put everything on share? i want to at least be able to have some kind of organization between users

Next Question...

How many users?

Assuming that it's 10 or under, just make sure that their usernames and passwords are duplicated on the XP "Server" box. That way you can use security as well.

most of the time no more than 4. unless i have a friend over wirelessly connected. but yea, i highly doubt i will hit 10 users.

Back