GIGABYTE Z690I AORUS ULTRA D4? problem

Board showed up about 3PM, but I didn't get a chance to put it all back together until this morning.w The Plus motherboard is apparently the same except for Intel AX411 wifi instead of AX211--they slipped an errata page into the manual.

I'm using it now, and it seems to be working fine. I read the mobo manual a bit more closely this time and realized that what looked like a fan header on the M.2 daughterboard is actually a power connector, which needs to be fed from Molex (ugh).

No WHEA errors so far, and the video card's in PCIe 4.0 mode!
I never saw the use for that power connector in the old manual. I assumed it was to supply power over the USB-C for 60w charging or something.

Also, I didn't know there is an AX-411!! That's cool!

I never saw the use for that power connector in the old manual. I assumed it was to supply power over the USB-C for 60w charging or something.

Also, I didn't know there is an AX-411!! That's cool!
The manual doesn't say, it just says connect power to it, and there's a cable in there that's Molex on one side and a regular 4-pin fan socket on the other. I had a fan plugged into it before, lol. This time I looked at it and noticed it said EXT_PWR, not SYS_FAN3 or something so I went and looked in the manual.

I had an NH-U12S on the board, and the M.2 heatsink is blocked by one of the heatpipes from being replaced in the normal vertical mounting, but I noticed this time you can place the heatsink horizontally, so I did that, with the fan blowing up. There's barely any clearance between the fan body and the M.2 heatsink, but it's there. I ran a 5-minute CPU-Z stress test and no cores went over about 64C.

I didn't know about the new wifi until I saw it in the errata. Not sure what the difference between it and the AX-211 is--they both list Wifi 6E, and I'm too lazy to look for it.

Annoyingly, the new board takes a really long time to post and to wake from sleep. We're talking like 30 seconds. From Reddit, it looks like at least a couple other people are having this problem. Really annoying--almost ready to ditch it in favor of something else.

I finally sent mine off and now have a replacement on the way back. Not sure if I'm going to keep it----as I already bought the Asrock Z690 ITX board and like it a lot.

Both this Gigabyte board, the Asrock board, and MSI's Z690 ITX have longer post times like that, for me. (I don't have the MSI anymore. I bought it on Amazon and the VRM fan made a very loud buzzsaw sound, even under a slight load. So I sent it back within a couple of days)

The Asrock and MSI boards are both DDR5. Initially I had VERY long post times. But it was a bad set of DDR5. Also had freezing in Amazon prime streaming, way more stutter in Elden Ring as well as sound errors. And a couple of blue screens. A new set of the same ram, has been very solid.

**Also, my second SSD recently started disappearing and I think its because it was formatted with that bad RAM. I reformatted it in my workhorse laptop, and the SSD seems fine, now.

I gave up on it and replaced it with an Asus rog strix z690-f. No more itx, but the extra fan headers and stuff, I was also able to improve the cable management quite a bit. Scored some 5600mt/s ddr5 for only $15 more than the same stuff in 4800.

I gave up on it and replaced it with an Asus rog strix z690-f. No more itx, but the extra fan headers and stuff, I was also able to improve the cable management quite a bit. Scored some 5600mt/s ddr5 for only $15 more than the same stuff in 4800.
Does that Asus board have a longer post time?

My good set of 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 5600 DDR5, I got for $278 on March 9th----As a "used like new" on amazon. It came looking like new, unopened, completely sealed. Prices have come down a fair bit. But that was a pretty good deal, at the time.
The bad set I bought new, for $305. Returned.

Does that Asus board have a longer post time?
Nah, it's like less than half the time of the Gigabyte. Much more reasonable. The RAM was some Corsair CL36 stuff with no RGB. Fasted the Houston Microcenter had in stock that wasn't open box, and all the 4800 stuff was CL40.

Nah, it's like less than half the time of the Gigabyte. Much more reasonable. The RAM was some Corsair CL36 stuff with no RGB. Fasted the Houston Microcenter had in stock that wasn't open box, and all the 4800 stuff was CL40.
I'm building a system in the next couple of days for some kids, around an ASUS TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS D4. Will be interesting to see how the boot times are.

I'm building a system in the next couple of days for some kids, around an ASUS TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS D4. Will be interesting to see how the boot times are.
My overall experience with Asus boards is they aren't terribly fast to post, but they're decent, and sometimes you can tweak them to be a bit faster.

Back