Gigabyte Preinstall Drivers?

Deeky

Gawd
I just now finished my Z77 build and I've installed Win 7 Professional. I'm now downloading the drivers for my UD5H from the Gigabyte website.

http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4139#dl

Should I bother with the Preinstall drivers (under SATA RAID)? Seems a bit redundant now, seeing as I'm ... y'know ... installed. What are these for? Should I be reinstalling the OS and using these?

No need to install pre-installation driver if you have successfully installed your OS.
Pre-installation driver is for system with AHCI or Raid mode.
The system will ask your this driver upon OS ibnstallation under hard disk partitioning.

Thanks for the response. Don't all Win 7 systems allow for AHCI, standard? I didn't even have to switch my BIOS settings to AHCI this time around, as it was the default. I assume the preinstall drivers are necessary for RAID (which I don't intend to use), but I want to be sure. I remember the hassle of trying to switch my system from IDE to AHCI a few years back. Trying to avoid a similar headache.

Thanks for the response. Don't all Win 7 systems allow for AHCI, standard? I didn't even have to switch my BIOS settings to AHCI this time around, as it was the default. I assume the preinstall drivers are necessary for RAID (which I don't intend to use), but I want to be sure. I remember the hassle of trying to switch my system from IDE to AHCI a few years back. Trying to avoid a similar headache.

Correct. If you're using the Intel SATA ports with AHCI enabled, then you won't need any installation drivers. Same goes with RAID, no drivers needed - however, you will need to install RST after the install for optimal performance.

Thanks Solid. Yeah, I've got the Rapid Storage Technology driver on my thumb driver, along with everything else short of the preinstall stuff. Cheers.

Back