Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI SATA XP Installation Issue

xxaaqq

[H]ard|Gawd
The comptuer boots... boots to CD... setup starts. Finds drive OK. Formats and copies files. Reboots. Does not boot from Hard drive regardless of boot order. (If WinXP CD in, boots to CD. If not, fails to boot entirely.) "Hard disk" is set as first boot device.

If you can boot to Windows download your hard drive's installation software from the manufacturer's site and that should help you set your drive up to boot normally.

I have the exact same problem with my Asus A8n Sli-Deluxe. My best guess would be to get the most recent bios revision, though I am too lazy to.

I just leave my WinXP cd in the drive.

Actually I figured it out. By default, RAID in enabled. In this case, I'm only installing to a single drive. I had to disable RAID in the BIOS, and then reformat/reinstall. Now it's working great. No hard drive setup was required.

Only odd thing is that WinXP considers the SATA drive a removeable device! It shows the icon in the system tray.

xxaaqq said:
Actually I figured it out. By default, RAID in enabled. In this case, I'm only installing to a single drive. I had to disable RAID in the BIOS, and then reformat/reinstall. Now it's working great. No hard drive setup was required.

Only odd thing is that WinXP considers the SATA drive a removeable device! It shows the icon in the system tray.

I was going to tell you
since i have the same board :)

This issue had me for like 20 minutes

xxaaqq said:

Newer SATA drives are in fact hot swappable, it is becoming part of the new SATA specification.

Back