Gigabit ports and other questions..

gwarren007

Fully [H]
I have been here a while, and I see people not buying mobo's because they don't have gigbit lans (or using it for an excuse to get the more expensive board).

In reviewing my network (sb5101, wrt54gl, and a couple of computers) i want to maximize my connection speed. Finding the router is easy, (wireless n, gigabit wired ports) finding cards for the mobo's that have 10/100 lans, but the modem is where I am confused.
I'm not seeing (or missed them ) cable modem that have gigabit ports. For the home, what is the best throughtput cable modem (preferly with gigabit) ?

The SB5100 series of cable modems is the best. There is no need for a gigabit port on them, since DOCSIS 2.0 doesn't exceed 100Mb/s.

There is no need for a gigabit port on them, since the majority of consumer-level stuff doesn't even get close to 100Mb/s (fiber-to-the-home may be the only exception). DOCSIS 2.0 max is like 40 megabit down/30 megabit up.

I have been here a while, and I see people not buying mobo's because they don't have gigbit lans (or using it for an excuse to get the more expensive board).

In reviewing my network (sb5101, wrt54gl, and a couple of computers) i want to maximize my connection speed. Finding the router is easy, (wireless n, gigabit wired ports) finding cards for the mobo's that have 10/100 lans, but the modem is where I am confused.
I'm not seeing (or missed them ) cable modem that have gigabit ports. For the home, what is the best throughtput cable modem (preferly with gigabit) ?

The gigabit ports people are seeking are for internal network transfers only, not for internet performance. Cable modems do not have gigabit ports on them, and if you managed to find one, it will be nothing more of a port speed for marketing purposes.

There is no need for a gigabit port on them, since the majority of consumer-level stuff doesn't even get close to 100Mb/s (fiber-to-the-home may be the only exception). DOCSIS 2.0 max is like 40 megabit down/30 megabit up.

If you have a gigabit mobo and router, wouldn't you pair it with a gigbit modem?

If you have a gigabit mobo and router, wouldn't you pair it with a gigbit modem?

Your ISP is likely providing you with maybe 10Mbps speed. As previously mentioned, the fastest throughput you'll get is 100Mbps... so what good would having a cable modem that has a port on it capable of 1,000Mbps when the service is incapable of giving more than 100Mbps? Even then, you're only running at around 10Mbps... even if you go for the high-end package, you're only going to get up to around 50Mbps.

If we are talking strictly internet traffic here, your computers are going to be limited by the speed of your internet connection. Which people have stated is most likely less than 100Mb/s.

Therefore, the only reason to have a Gigabit switch and NIC's is for Internal traffic. (LAN, from computer to computer)

As pointed out, a 100Mbit modem/router currently does not restrict you at internet speeds.

However, hard drives can now transfer data faster than 100mbit as they are routinely around 8 times faster these days.
100Mbit will restrict you to under 12MBytes/second!
If you are copying data over the network from PC to PC, Gbit will be much faster.
So if your modem router is 100Mbit LAN then get another Gbit switch to connect all your PCs together and just connect the Gbit switch to the modem/router.

Back