Gigabit Networking question

FocalFury

n00b
OK check my 'math' on what I want to do and to find the easiest way of doing so.

Here is what I'm working with.

Pentium 4 dinosaur :LOL: is my on ALL the time torrent PC, it does what i need it to while using minimal power etc etc
and
THE RIG!!!!
the i-7 920, 12G DDR3 ram, Asus P6T6 mobo...etc
This is where I store everything. I have 4 TB of space at this time.

The problem I run into is this.

The P4 does not have USB2, and either way I use network transfer between the two PC's to get the data onto 'THE RIG'

'The Rig' ASUS P6T6WS Revolution Mother board has 2 onboard Gigabit Ethernet Ports.

THE GOAL IS TO MAXIMIZE DATA TRANSFER SPEEDS BETWEEN THE TWO COMPUTERS
At this point in time speeds are around 10.8MB/s....which sucks as most of the time I transfer around 50 Gigs at a time which takes around an hour.

THE PLAN
1)Buy a Gigabit Ethernet Adapter PCI-e card and install it in the P4 machine.
they seem cheap like 30 bucks
2)Buy a Gigabit direct connection patch cable and go out of my second Gigabit port on 'THE RIG' and into the new Gigabit Ethernet Adapter PCI-e style card.

I need to make sure I'm not going about this wrong.

The alternative is to get a gigabit pci-e card, a gigabit hub and gigabit cables.

Thanks for your insight all...letting me know I'm not doing this all wrong

D A N N Y

Last edited:
it's strange that your P4 doesn't have USB2 ports but has a PCI-e slot.

All you need is the GigE NIC, a standard Cat5e cable, and plug the cable to the 2 machines.
This is what I did way back in the day when GigE Switches were expensive. Had 2 Nics in each machine, 1 Nic each to a 10/100 switch on the network and the 2 GigE Nics together with a patch cable, don't need a cross-over cable since AutoMDX is built into the Gigabit standard, from what I read in the past.

Your idea will work, you might need to do a little tweaking of the TCP/IP configuration on the secondary NICs, but it will work and get you GigE speeds. Getting a GigE switch and replacing your existing one would be the more elegant solution, but if you're trying to do it as cheap as possible, your way is going to be the ticket.

Also there's nothing really special about gigabit cables. Any Cat5e cable will work fine at gigabit speed.

it's strange that your P4 doesn't have USB2 ports but has a PCI-e slot.
god im having this sinking feeling....its been so long since I've looked at its guts

it is a Dimension 4600
any recommendations on a card?

Your idea will work, you might need to do a little tweaking of the TCP/IP configuration on the secondary NICs, but it will work and get you GigE speeds. Getting a GigE switch and replacing your existing one would be the more elegant solution, but if you're trying to do it as cheap as possible, your way is going to be the ticket.

Also there's nothing really special about gigabit cables. Any Cat5e cable will work fine at gigabit speed.

Ya it might be better
The idea I was having was to let my internet be 'unmuddled' between the 2 computers and the regular LAN, and make it a wired area network (WAN) if I am using the term correctly
This way just having all this data travel through the single chord and not my whole homes network hub if you will

Like Zepher said, the Gigabit standard includes Auto MDIX, so you don't even need a crossover cable - a regular straight-through patch cable will work.

Yes, you can plug the BT PC directly into your main PC's second Ethernet port. Keep in mind that your PC will then technically be on two networks, and your config gets a little more complicated. The easy way is to spend $25 on a GbE switch and just plug both PCs into it. This will also allow you to add other GbE PCs in the future.

just as an FYI, auto MDIX is an optional component within the standard but I've never seen a decent gear not support it...

Your speeds will not be much faster than 10MBPS... maybe hit 40...

Why are you transferring huge files at once? You could just map the drive on the "rig" and have utorrent copy completed files to that drive when they are complete, or you could have a schedule synctoy or robocopy job run to copy it over.

Why would you not just get a gigabit switch? They sell for like $20 at Fry's now.

Your speeds will not be much faster than 10MBPS... maybe hit 40...

Why are you transferring huge files at once? You could just map the drive on the "rig" and have utorrent copy completed files to that drive when they are complete, or you could have a schedule synctoy or robocopy job run to copy it over.

The reason I don't do this is I don't keep my 'main rig' on all the time. It uses a lot of power and where I'm living right now is in the high tier of energy usage in SoCal so it gets pricey.
I keep the torrenting comuter on all the time as it uses much less energy.
Then I just transfer stuff in the interim

OK so I'm guessing the good long term and still not that expensive solution is to get a GigaBit switch and a gigabit card for the torrent computer.

:)

Well I got a gigabit router and gigabit PCI card.
Installed and everything is great
top transfer speed so far was 60MB/s
but it averages between 45-50MB/s
a 12 GB file took 5 minutes to transfer....which is more than a relief
Thanks for the advice all !!!

Back