Ghosting questions

Bob002

Gawd
Alright, I've never ghosted, but *think* I am familiar with it. Basically, I'm about to buy a new hdd. I've currently got a 40 gig partitioned in half. I might partition the new drive, I might not, I'm not sure. Either way, I need to take all the stuff off both drives and put them on the new one. Ghosting sounded like the way to do this (if I'm not mistaken).

Basically, ghosting makes one big image of the stuff on the drive and puts it right back on the new drive, correct? That's what I would like to do.

What are the good ghosting programs? I know that Norton Ghost was popular, but would prefer freeware (if possible) or something cheap at the least...

Bob002 said:
Alright, I've never ghosted, but *think* I am familiar with it. Basically, I'm about to buy a new hdd. I've currently got a 40 gig partitioned in half. I might partition the new drive, I might not, I'm not sure. Either way, I need to take all the stuff off both drives and put them on the new one. Ghosting sounded like the way to do this (if I'm not mistaken).

Basically, ghosting makes one big image of the stuff on the drive and puts it right back on the new drive, correct? That's what I would like to do.

What are the good ghosting programs? I know that Norton Ghost was popular, but would prefer freeware (if possible) or something cheap at the least...

I would use CapserXp
It copyies Bit by Bit, Ghost makes a image and you will not get programs to move over, unless you do a drive to drive, with both which i dont think moving 2 hds to one will work.
Do both drives have a OS? if so than ghost will not work, But if there is only one partion you can make 2 partions on the new bigger drive and ghost each drive to its new partion

-(Xyphox)- said:
I would use CapserXp
It copyies Bit by Bit, Ghost makes a image and you will not get programs to move over, unless you do a drive to drive, with both which i dont think moving 2 hds to one will work.
Do both drives have a OS? if so than ghost will not work, But if there is only one partion you can make 2 partions on the new bigger drive and ghost each drive to its new partion

No OS, just a storage drive.

It is partitioned in half right now (two 18.6 gb partitions). I think I may actually have to go to Ghost as I don't have an xtra IDE anywhere (thought I suppose I could hook one hdd up in place of one of my DVD players, that could work...

Back