getting started with Exchange 2003 and SMS 2003

benutne

[H]ard|Gawd
SMS 2003 is kicking my ass. Its installed. A little too confusing for me. I was hoping to manage software and updates on our network. Lets just say SMS is less than user friendly.

Exchange isnt even installed yet. We're tired of our shitty email provider and wanted to do it ourselves. Again, I just need to know where to get started.

TIA

A book? SMS is big. Very big. It's made for a newtork with a lot of users (in the thousands). There are better options for smaller networks.

There are lots of good Exchange books out. Just go pick one up and start reading.

^^^ what he said about SMS x 10e3

I, in a moment of weakness, tried to set up SMS for a network of 50 (yes, 50) systems.

Headache++;
Payoff--;

Exchange 2k3 on the other hand is quite nice, and manageable.

It's not fully deployed yet (we're still breaking stuff, just to make sure we have the ability to fix things) but it is pretty easy to understand if you understand Exchange in general.

Also, you're AD forest needs to be setup right. In our lab the Global Catalog was dead... Exchange didn't particularly like that :/

No, Exchange 2003 and SMS 2003 are not exactly "user friendly" unless you have previous experience in it or Windows 2000/3 Server background.

Grab a book, and get cracking.

What are you going to use the SMS for? If it is just to do windows updates, you can use SUS, which is free, but more limited. It can only do windows updates, but supposedly newer versions will be able to do other microsoft updates.

Originally posted by Ralf
What are you going to use the SMS for? If it is just to do windows updates, you can use SUS, which is free, but more limited. It can only do windows updates, but supposedly newer versions will be able to do other microsoft updates.

I love SUS....it works great and its FREE. I run it here at home aswell. only downside is that the clients have to be win2k,xp, or 2003

In al honesty, I wanted to use it to deploy software. And I might be asking for some help with Exchange soon

How many clients are you looking at deploying software for? If it isn't too many, it may be easier to do them manually. You can also deploy software with logon scripts, but that either requires that the user have admin rights on the box, or you use the runas command. Very nice, but then the password is in the logon script.

Only 12 clients now. Far more in the future. Hopefully several hundreds, depending on how the company does. I'm really thinking of giving up on SMS and focusing on Exchange 2003. I really like what I've seen so far. I just need toget the go order to have the upgraded DSL with 25 IP's and 6Mb/1.5Mb set up and we're in business.

Originally posted by benutne
Only 12 clients now. Far more in the future. Hopefully several hundreds, depending on how the company does. I'm really thinking of giving up on SMS and focusing on Exchange 2003. I really like what I've seen so far. I just need toget the go order to have the upgraded DSL with 25 IP's and 6Mb/1.5Mb set up and we're in business.
Why do you need 25 IP's?

The package includes 25 IP's We really only need 4, but the next DSL package down only has 2 IP's and not enough speed.

Back