getting new dsl service need advise for a modem

heydo6

Limp Gawd
well i have had comcast cable for ,well 10 plus years or whateever . i am going to try out dsl for 45 days because comcast is trying to rip me off with all this new digital tv crap .

i already have DIR 655 router , GS108T gigabit switch , SB6120 new cable surfboard modem i will replaceing for dsl modem .

i have never had dsl before so i'll have to learn whatever i need to know to get every thing working full speed . my house has cat5 telephone wires (i don't use ) but i have to change one phone line jack to dsl cat5 jack , i guess . i hope i can test my modem outside and inside just to make sure there is no signal loss , if so run one new main line to modem . i hope that part is right , best i can figure .

AT&t is sending my new modem and care pack (17th due date) but i would like to purchase a new modem also . i figure they are probably sending some cheap modem and it's worth buying a good one so i can get the most speed possible .
i hope all this is makeing sense ??? what i am looking for is some advice on which dsl modem is the BEST so i can get full speed and don't have problems down the road . any advice on the dsl end would be great also , if i have to get a modem/ router combo (would rather not) to get a good one i will .

i have read some info on the tomato or something some modems have but i have never really tryed . if this is a good time to try that , i would be also intrested . i hope you guys and can help me out and thanks

eh, really I think you are wasting your time and money. cable modems, yeah, they can make a difference if you are say switching from docsis 2.0 to docsis 3.0 and your provider supports 3.0 and allows additional speed that way. With comcast I have their mid tier plan, 6Mb/s I think, but I get 20-24 Mb/s on downloads.

I used to have adsl (at&t) and damned if it just would not go out. modem lights remained lit, only fix was to power cycle it. Very frustrating, regardless of it being infrequent. DSL+phone is most likely somewhat cheaper than cable+phone.

anyway when you order dsl they are going to provision you to a type of service. most likely 3Mb/s unless they have 6 Mb/s in your location. The service you get is the maximum speed you will ever see. DSL also has overhead so the bandwidth is further reduced. If you are > 12000' from your central office or remote terminal then you might start seeing some signal loss.

anyway net result, IMO DSL sucks. AT&T modem should be fine for it. Only reason to buy another one would be say if you wanted wireless routing capabilities. It will most likely not do anything for your connection. I'd wait until it is installed and then see what your speeds are. If they are not up to par, then it would call for further action.

Oh man, I hated DSL. You're not going to get the speeds out of that like you're used to with cable. Comcast does suck but wait until you have to stick with DSL speeds.
AT&T (at least in my area) is notorious for it's crappy DSL speed and service. I wouldn't even bother buying a new modem for that, its going to push the maximum speed your DSL ISP can provide I assure you.
I hope you enjoy those 45 days, I wasn't too fond of DSL. When I moved I went straight to Insight's 20Mbps service (and when they roll out DOCSIS 3.0 hopefully I'll be upgrading to the 50Mbps service.) because AT&T's 6Mbps DSL was just too slow for me.

Bummer on your downgrade, if you're getting just DSL. If you're getting ATTs U-Verse package, you will feel that it's equal to Comcast. But if you're just getting DSL...max is 6 megs, compared to Comcast you'll feel you want 1/2 way back to dial up.

ATT is usually using the little Motorola 2210 for home DSL setups, which is a combo modem/router, you can log in and flip it over to be a pure bridged modem in about 15 seconds, so you can use your own router.

Back