Getting into Linksys WAP54G

Rustynuts

[H]F Junkie
Trying to configure an old WAP I have lying around into a game system router with dd-wrt. Anyway, I'm a network idiot and can't even get into the Admin screen on the router! I tried doing the full reset, press button-hold-unplug power-wait 30 sec-plug in-hold for 30 more secs. This "should" get everything back to factory default, but when I try to access the default IP at 192.168.1.245 I get nothing.

I've got the WAP connected directly to my laptop with a lan cable. The laptop is also running wireless off my normal Verizon router. Tried turning off wireless to be sure, but I still can't access that the Linksys. Am I doing something wrong? Need to change settings on the laptop also?

Trying to hack the router so my kid can use it as an Xbox wifi adapter per this website.

http://gizmodo.com/5133447/how-to-add-wi+fi-to-your-xbox-360-smartly-and-cheaply

Don't most LinkSys routers set the default IP to 192.168.1.1?

Edit: Whoops - my bad - that one really does use .245 for the default IP...

Do the factory reset and get the manual. You could also try angry ip scanner.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

You need to configure your ethernet adapter on your laptop to have a static IP address in the 192.168.1.x range to be able to access the AP at .245

That is all.

Thanks, I remember reading something about that on the link I posted. Thought it was just for the firmware upgrade of the Linksys, not just to access it!

OK, when I set the static IP, what do I do with the Subnet, Gateway, and DNS server settings? As I said, I'm a network noob.

Seemed to get it connected per the Network Connections (said connected, firewalled) and Angry IP. Yet, when I try to enter the IP, it does nothing and gives "connection was reset error", even with firewall turned off.

Back