Getting fiber connection what best router / switch

Kaash

Limp Gawd
I am getting a 1000Mbps fiber optic bandwidth connection and want to at least have access to my 360 and my pc and possible wireless or other friends pc when they come over and enjoy this speed. i looked on newegg real quick and found a 10/100/1000 but the max data output was only 300Mbps. how can i connect all my hardware and get the full bandwidth???

ps.I live in Japan. fiber runs straight into my house into the fiber optic modem which than goes into RJ-45. The ISP is called Hero Net in Misawa city, Aoromi prefecture. i just want to be able to plug modem into router / switch and for my pc to still have the 1000Mbps bandwidth. the xbox 360 i dont mine losing back down to 100 if i can still get decent ping. and other producs for other desktop pc / laptop of friends if they want to come over and chill. so say me and friend are connected by RJ-45 and download from a high bandwidth site that actually can put out 1000Mbps down speed he should be able to get 500Mbps and i as well....the fiber here is CHEAP!. lil over 50bucks a month WITH phoneline and first 3 months free and activation and install fee is only 5dollars. * lil over 500 yen* yen rate is about 121 to dollar

If you really want a router that can handle that kind of bandwidth, at least in the USA you are talking about Cisco, Juniper, or one of the other big names.

Layer3 switch like a Cisco 3560 should do it. Another good option is a Juniper J4350.

It actually says in the contract your getting a full 1ge connection? I'm sorry even for japan I find that very hard to believe. Honestly its a complete waste at best you might get that in their internal network, but no way in hell you'll get close to that once it leaves their network for the rest of the world.

Any gigabit switch should be able to handle that speed. E.g. D-Link DGS-2208. Router is a different story. You might to DIY with a budget computer and a couple of GbE NICs and one of the router/firewall distros, assuming that the modem they supply doesn't have a built-in router.

Any gigabit switch should be able to handle that speed. E.g. D-Link DGS-2208. Router is a different story. You might to DIY with a budget computer and a couple of GbE NICs and one of the router/firewall distros, assuming that the modem they supply doesn't have a built-in router.

Even with PCI-e due to the bottle neck of the CPU and memory bandwidth I don't think it could route and translate packets fast enough to handle a 1gbps connection. I would love to see what kind of throughput some one could get though, just to test the possibility.

Even with PCI-e due to the bottle neck of the CPU and memory bandwidth I don't think it could route and translate packets fast enough to handle a 1gbps connection. I would love to see what kind of throughput some one could get though, just to test the possibility.

I have no real idea myself (on either the capacity or the likelihood of seeing that theoretical bandwidth as actual throughput), but there's a nice price war going on on CPUs, so getting a pretty high end CPU/etc. is possible on a relative budget, and what you can build on such a budget these days is going to be better than ever before.

Japan is a small place so its a hella lot cheaper for internet than in the states. the 2nd highest speed i can get is ADSL which could range anywhere from 8Mbps to 40Mbps since my new house is sorta far from the box. and the 40Mbps speed is like 40 bucks so i rather spend that extra 10dollars and get a 1000Mbps...and yes thats the advertise rate. i know since i'm in japan that connection to US sites will not get close to 1000Mbps but it also leaves room for if i'm downloading to surf, and / or play online games without problems.

ps so the only way to ideally share that high bandwidth is to buy an insanly price router / switch. guess i'll just have to unplug from router and go straight into the pc when i want to seed / leech on torrents , or do more multitasking while online.

Back