IllegalEagle
Gawd
- Joined
- Jun 9, 2006
- Messages
- 761
Since I've started building it...
September 2009 - Case arrived damaged and beat up, was scammed and had to file for a charge back.
November 2009 - The Tagan 700w PS folds under pressure and fried 3 HDDs.
December 2009 - Finally have the first version up and running. All air cooled.
Core i7 920 DO - O/C'd at 4.0Ghz
EVGA X58 Tri-SLI Motherboard
3GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 Ram
Dark Knight CPU Cooler
HIS 5970 - Currently O/C'd in games at 875/1050.
1x 1TB 7200.12 Seagate HDD
3x 1.5TB 7200.11 Seagate HDD
Silverstone Strider 1000W PSU
January 2010 - After planning a huge trip for NYC for the years end and then getting so sick I couldn't go I funnel the money into watercooling.
February 2010 - Swap out the motherboard for an EVGA E759 Classified mobo.
May/June 2010 - Swapped out most of the watercooling bits with better ones. Made the mistake of getting cheap stuff. 3x120 Swifttech RAD to a Black Ice GTX 480, Swifttech Apogee GTZ to EK HF, and a bigger res. While doing all this my motherboard shorts.
July 2010 - Swapped out the 5970 for 480's because it was starting to fail and couldn't do anything right. Games were a mess with that card upon release for me.
August 2010 - 3GB OCZ Ram swapped out for 6GB of the best Corsair stuff around, Dominator GT 1600Mhz at CAS7. Cost a good $260..
September 2010 - Motherboard shorts again for no apparent reason. I RMA it, sell it, and buy a new E760 on clearance. It took around 2 months for the RMA'd E759 to show up.
October 2010 - A 480 dies. RMA'd.
December - Everything is working perfectly!
January/February 2011 - I'm noticing a lot of crashing in games. I troubleshoot everything and got it down to a hard drive issue. Buy two VRAPs to RAID. Turns out it wasn't a HDD issue, it was a power supply. RMA'd and bought a Corsair 1200w PSU. Also, the motherboard heatsink was letting the North Bridge fry itself so I got a water block for the motherboard.
April 2011 - Motherboard dies. RMA'd. At this point I had it. Got rid of the E760, Corsair RAM, and Core i7 920 and go Sandy Bridge.
May 2011 - Sandy Bridge gets here, and my SLI doesn't work. I think it's a motherboard problem, since the SLI was working just fine before. RMA'd new motherboard.
July 2011 - Discovered on my 2nd Asus motherboard it was actually a bad 480 and something happened with it that made it not want to play nice with other cards. RMA'd 480.
Yesterday I got the 480 back and she's running fine now. Since September 2009, I believe there's only been a few months where everything has worked properly and I've wasted thousands, but hey, now I know how to do it and what to get. What used to be $4k for top of the line is now $1-2k and I'm okay with that. I know how to water cool now, and I'm planning on doing a few minor mods but I am not touching anything inside!
September 2009 - Case arrived damaged and beat up, was scammed and had to file for a charge back.
November 2009 - The Tagan 700w PS folds under pressure and fried 3 HDDs.
December 2009 - Finally have the first version up and running. All air cooled.
Core i7 920 DO - O/C'd at 4.0Ghz
EVGA X58 Tri-SLI Motherboard
3GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 Ram
Dark Knight CPU Cooler
HIS 5970 - Currently O/C'd in games at 875/1050.
1x 1TB 7200.12 Seagate HDD
3x 1.5TB 7200.11 Seagate HDD
Silverstone Strider 1000W PSU
January 2010 - After planning a huge trip for NYC for the years end and then getting so sick I couldn't go I funnel the money into watercooling.
February 2010 - Swap out the motherboard for an EVGA E759 Classified mobo.
May/June 2010 - Swapped out most of the watercooling bits with better ones. Made the mistake of getting cheap stuff. 3x120 Swifttech RAD to a Black Ice GTX 480, Swifttech Apogee GTZ to EK HF, and a bigger res. While doing all this my motherboard shorts.
July 2010 - Swapped out the 5970 for 480's because it was starting to fail and couldn't do anything right. Games were a mess with that card upon release for me.
August 2010 - 3GB OCZ Ram swapped out for 6GB of the best Corsair stuff around, Dominator GT 1600Mhz at CAS7. Cost a good $260..
September 2010 - Motherboard shorts again for no apparent reason. I RMA it, sell it, and buy a new E760 on clearance. It took around 2 months for the RMA'd E759 to show up.
October 2010 - A 480 dies. RMA'd.
December - Everything is working perfectly!
January/February 2011 - I'm noticing a lot of crashing in games. I troubleshoot everything and got it down to a hard drive issue. Buy two VRAPs to RAID. Turns out it wasn't a HDD issue, it was a power supply. RMA'd and bought a Corsair 1200w PSU. Also, the motherboard heatsink was letting the North Bridge fry itself so I got a water block for the motherboard.
April 2011 - Motherboard dies. RMA'd. At this point I had it. Got rid of the E760, Corsair RAM, and Core i7 920 and go Sandy Bridge.
May 2011 - Sandy Bridge gets here, and my SLI doesn't work. I think it's a motherboard problem, since the SLI was working just fine before. RMA'd new motherboard.
July 2011 - Discovered on my 2nd Asus motherboard it was actually a bad 480 and something happened with it that made it not want to play nice with other cards. RMA'd 480.
Yesterday I got the 480 back and she's running fine now. Since September 2009, I believe there's only been a few months where everything has worked properly and I've wasted thousands, but hey, now I know how to do it and what to get. What used to be $4k for top of the line is now $1-2k and I'm okay with that. I know how to water cool now, and I'm planning on doing a few minor mods but I am not touching anything inside!