Getting a new server, need some advice.

All I really want is a server that is reliable in backing up data. Only real programs I use is ACT and Microsoft Office. I might not even need a server and just convert a normal PC into a file server. All I really need it for is to backup files off of 4 other machines on the network. I don't need VPN or anything fancy.

I may want to make a periodic image of the hard drives of the machines so if one goes down it will not be too hard to get it back up. I don't really need the server to do this for me but if it can be done, why not.

I really want this to be cost effective and reliable. I will not be doing any email hosting or website building either.

Just file server.

I may want to get a full server though if its beneficial in the sense that it can be my antivirus/spyware protection without having to run anything locally on the machines but I think that a local security suite on the workstations is probably the best way to go. If I am wrong please correct me. I just hate how much local security can slow down a computer

Thanks in advance. If you have any websites/ariticles to link me to that will help guide me in the right direction. I would appreciate it very much.

Buffalo LinkStation

I highly recommend the products linked above. This is strictly just for hosting files. Easy to backup and maintain because it does not run an "active" OS. Very easy setup -- low power consumption compared to a full blown computer/server. Also very cost effective.

Doesn't have to be from Buffalo either.

Back