• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Getting a 4870X2, need some help please.

thetruth

Gawd
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
563
So I sold my GTX 280, thought about 5870s, until I saw a 4870X2 for $225 here. Well, I got $200 for my 280. The 4870x2 is pretty much on par with the 5870, for now, I know drivers mature, yeah. Anyway, I figure, this is a great bang for the buck upgrade until DX11 is mature enough to know what hardware I should get for it. Currently I have a 9450 @3.2 on a gigabyte P45 w/ a pci-e 2.0, 4 gigs, raptor, x-fi and a 26" Asus 1920x1200.

Questions are, what drivers for Vista 64?

Heat, can I add an 80MM or two to the intake and outtake to help with airflow?

I have a tech bench case so I can do all kinds of fun things with fans. Dust is not an issue, I have that under control. Very tight environment.

Would it be a good idea to take it apart and re-apply thermal paste?
 
Heat wasn't ever really that bad.. If you push the fan over 70% and can stand the hurricane wind sounds you'll never have a heat issue. And to my knowledge with drivers the newest drivers are always the best.

You can take it apart if you want.. I never replaced it so it wouldn't hurt.

Also your card left today.. enjoy it :)
 
Yeah the 70% thing is why I was curious if adding a fan to pull the hot out would keep the noise down.
 
Looks like you can carve some of the plastic around the fan to increase airflow.

Can you replace the thermal pads with paste or will it lose contact if you remove them. Aka is paste thick enough to make contact?
 
Back
Top