• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Get i3 2100 and replace quad amd?

Joined
Feb 24, 2010
Messages
641
I'm currently running my gaming rig with a quad phenom II 3.40ghz, it can run higher but BF3 is only 30-80% cpu load.

Ive been offered a MSI Z68A-GD55 (G3) motherboard with PCI-E 3.0 16x or x8/x8 so I think it should handle even 2x 7990 in future.

Here is what I'm considering doing:

Buy a new i3 2100 and the used z68 motherboard,
Keep my crossfired 6950's.

Down the line in late 2012 or early 2013 buy a better sandy bridge something like a i5 2500k or what is cheap/good.
get som AMD 79xx GPU's or 89xx depending on price/performance.

Here is my concern:

BF3 can use 4 cores, on my current quad 3.40 it usually is core load 88%/70%/60%/30%
My worry is that as games get more advanced the i3 2100 will get weak too soon so I need to sell it and buy a 2500k when their wery expensive.
 
Phenom II quad -> i3 2100 is more of a side grade, but this gives you a definite option to upgrade to a 2500k in the future

for AMD, you're basically stuck... not really any point in upgrading to a x6

hence: if you think you'll have the money to upgrade in the future, sure


are you near a microcenter?
 
Phenom II quad -> i3 2100 is more of a side grade, but this gives you a definite option to upgrade to a 2500k in the future

for AMD, you're basically stuck... not really any point in upgrading to a x6

hence: if you think you'll have the money to upgrade in the future, sure


are you near a microcenter?

I'm in Sweden and 1155 good motherboards are wery expensive unless used or open box item.

Edit--> My goal is to make next major GPU/CPU upgrade in 2012 Q3 or 2013, so the i3 2100 needs to "survive" eyefinity gaming atleast 9 months.

Edit 2 --> According this G620 is only 10% slower than 965be in games :confused:
Phenom II quad -> i3 2100 is more of a side grade, but this gives you a definite option to upgrade to a 2500k in the future

for AMD, you're basically stuck... not really any point in upgrading to a x6

hence: if you think you'll have the money to upgrade in the future, sure


are you near a microcenter?

I'm in Sweden and 1155 good motherboards are wery expensive unless used or open box item.

Edit--> My goal is to make next major GPU/CPU upgrade in 2012 Q3 or 2013, so the i3 2100 needs to "survive" eyefinity gaming atleast 9 months.

Edit 2 --> According this G620 is only 10% slower than 965be in games :confused:
I could breake even buy a good sandy bridge mobo and once g620 and 6950 are obsolete upgrade new CPU and GPU?

Good thing about getting the z68 and i3 now is once I buy new GPU's I'll just buy a used or new i5 k for cheap and OC.
I could breake even buy a good sandy bridge mobo and once g620 and 6950 are obsolete upgrade new CPU and GPU?

Good thing about getting the z68 and i3 now is once I buy new GPU's I'll just buy a used or new i5 k for cheap and OC.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top