Gerneral BSOD questions - How to read a bluescreen dump file, etc.

Windows Vista Home Premium:

1. How do you keep the bluescreen error frozen in order to record the information?

2. Is there a way to capture info regarding a bluescreen after-the-fact that is different from the dump file?

3. Where are the dump files saved and how do I read them?

4. Is there a seperate report file that displays what the bluescreen error displays or is that some component of a dump file?

Thanks.

Windows Vista Home Premium:

1. How do you keep the bluescreen error frozen in order to record the information?

2. Is there a way to capture info regarding a bluescreen after-the-fact that is different from the dump file?

3. Where are the dump files saved and how do I read them?

4. Is there a seperate report file that displays what the bluescreen error displays or is that some component of a dump file?

Thanks.

1. Don't bother, you can get the same info from elsewhere
2. The dump file is the best way, but event viewer should also have some information about the crash. It will be under "windows logs > system" and you should be able to find it. However, I prefer doing it with way #3.
3. Get the debugging tools for windows, open the dump file (usually c:\windows\memory.dmp - though if you only have minidumps, it will be elsewhere), run ".symfix" ".reload" "!analyze -v"). All the info stored during the crash will be parsed and displayed to screen, to a much greater amount of detail over the stuff shown on the bluescreen.
4. See #3

Back