Gento freezes and so does fedora...screenshots inside

Steve_Oaks

Gawd
Trying to install Gentoo but have Fedora as my backup. Both freeze after pressing enter to install without any special switches. The second pic you can see there is an error.

Gentoo point of freezing:
gentoo.jpg

And Fedora(and you can see there is an error)
fedora.jpg

Any ideas? I thought it was the cdrom but I have switched out 3 cdroms so it does not seem to be a read problem on the cd.

Yeah... can't see pictures either. Make sure your system is stable & you're not having hardware problems like overheating CPU, faulty RAM (try memtest86), or a bad HDD.

Of course, pictures & a description of the hardware you're trying to work with would always come in handy

Can you see the pics now? Because of the stupid cisco 2514 I have to make a static/local dns entry for my webserver, hence its hard to know if people on the internet can see it.

do you have your fsck set up correctly for the / partition? that can often cause that error.
im not sure what you mean by pressing enter to install: the installation for gentoo is definatly more complicated than that. are you booting off the livecd? have you already installed fedora and are trying to boot it for the first time?
try pressing f2 for verbose mode on the gentoo loading, see what errors you get

Originally posted by cloaked
do you have your fsck set up correctly for the / partition? that can often cause that error.
im not sure what you mean by pressing enter to install: the installation for gentoo is definatly more complicated than that. are you booting off the livecd? have you already installed fedora and are trying to boot it for the first time?
try pressing f2 for verbose mode on the gentoo loading, see what errors you get

Yes off the live cd. The hd has mandrake on it but I plan on blasting that away. Should I use a boot disk and do that before I try to start installing. I know its not as easy as pressing enter, but that is the last step(which is also the first when booting off the cd) that completes before the freeze.

That's odd...

What's happening is that, once the kernel finishes loading, it's trying to connect to the CDROM to find the rest of the OS so it can run the installer and, for some reason, it's failing.

Do you have any strange BIOS settings or IDE hardware?

Originally posted by ameoba
That's odd...

What's happening is that, once the kernel finishes loading, it's trying to connect to the CDROM to find the rest of the OS so it can run the installer and, for some reason, it's failing.

Do you have any strange BIOS settings or IDE hardware?

Im impressed, you got all that from my crappy screenshot. Only thing I can think would be the hd is on the first ide channel and the cdrom is on the second. I swear when it comes to installing the linux's I have the worst luck.

Im impressed, you got all that from my crappy screenshot.

Just a matter of reading the lines (and having screwed up enough installs to recognize an unmountable root device). Could you scroll back (using shift-PgUP) on the redhat install to the lines where it's detecting the IDE devices and post it? It should be just above the top of this screen. On my machine, it looks like:

Code:
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00beta4-2.4
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
NFORCE2: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:09.0
NFORCE2: chipset revision 162
NFORCE2: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
AMD_IDE: Bios didn't set cable bits corectly. Enabling workaround.
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
AMD_IDE: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2) UDMA100 controller on pci00:09.0
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: WDC WD800JB-00ETA0, ATA DISK drive
blk: queue c0332240, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
hdc: OPTORITECD-RW CW5205, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: attached ide-disk driver.
hda: host protected area => 1
hda: setmax_ext LBA 156301488, native  156299375
hda: 156299375 sectors (80025 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=9729/255/63, UDMA(100)
hdc: attached ide-cdrom driver.
hdc: ATAPI 52X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 >

Have you tried checking the md5sum of the ISO you downloaded then reburning them?

Originally posted by deafpluckin
Have you tried checking the md5sum of the ISO you downloaded then reburning them?

I feel so dumb saying this but....how do you use the md5sums? I have never understood, though I do know their purpose.

You need to find a program that computes them. I seem to remember seeing a really nice free one listed on download.com that added a right-click menu option "calculate MD5"... Poke arround until you see something that looks like it doesn't suck.

Basically, you feed the file to the program, it computes your checksum value and if they don't match, one or more bits in your program do not match the original file.

i used to have that when i was trying to install slackware. i think it's the motherboard's fault...cause it did it on 90% of distros that i tried. i finally tried fedora core, and it worked.

Originally posted by Walleye
i used to have that when i was trying to install slackware. i think it's the motherboard's fault...cause it did it on 90% of distros that i tried. i finally tried fedora core, and it worked.
again, knowing what hardware people are trying to boot on would be a major help.

Originally posted by MTB2Live,Live4Comps
again, knowing what hardware people are trying to boot on would be a major help.

Mobo: PC100 M599LMR
CPU: AMD k2-2 350mhz
Chipset: SiS 530

I have installed redhat 8.0 and a few versions of Mandrake on this computer. So I assumed the hardware would still be supported.

Back