general opinions

I guess if you wanted to use wifi on your desktop it might be. It needs ECC memory, so that might be something to consider. (ECC = more $$) It seems pretty lean on USB headers.

I guess the real question should be is the wifi worth the extra cost to YOU. ;)

Well, I think it would be a nice option, and it would cut down on wire clutter a little in the apartment. I would just wondering about how much a good quality WiFi card would cost me otherwise.

As far as I know, ECC supported doesn't mean ECC required. Standard DDR should work fine.

The added cost due to the WiFi looks about right to me, assuming the onboard WiFi works well. You can get 802.11g cards for at or under 20 bucks from time to time, but a Linksys card would normally cost 40+.

I assume that the onboard wifi also includes 'access point' abilities. If this is what you mean by saving space then that's a valid point. But there aren't any other cables involved (less actually, if the standard antenna is used instead of an extended one like the mobo in question) when using a PCI wireless card.

Now that I think about it more, maybe you meant less cabling in using wifi instead of running cat5.

Well, what is a good mobo for less than $130? I'm just needing something for general use and maybe a little light OCing in the future. I'm looking to use an AMD 64 3200 with a Venice core.

p_little said:
Well, what is a good mobo for less than $130? I'm just needing something for general use and maybe a little light OCing in the future. I'm looking to use an AMD 64 3200 with a Venice core.
Asus A8N-E

Are the regular nForce 4 boards even looking into, or do I need to go with either SLI or Ultra? I have had an Ultra suggested to me, but it is just a hair pricey for me at this point.

DFI UT nF4 Ultra-D is THE best one. Also can be modded to be its SLI equivalent with minimal effort. Good quality onboard audio, low resource overhead, etc etc...it's not just the best overclocker, even the non-overclock aspects are done better in order to make it be the best overclocker's board.

Runner up...I'm in the process of reevaluating my opinions, but probably either MSI or Epox. MSI has some odd issues and unusual power requirements.

Light overclocking for a Venice 3200 is 2.7GHz...and by light I mean completely stable with only minor increase in voltage/temperature with usually minimal effort.

Back