Geforce3 Driver update

Ok I have a Nvidia Geforce3 Ti50[anothernumberhere]

I tried to upgrade the drivers a while ago and it seriously mucked up my machine and we had to do a rollback system restore. After that the system was ok but occasionally it'd crash and the graphics drivers would fail and you'd get all sorts of blue screens.

In particularly it'd always happen whilst playing games. And i'd just bought NFSU and wanted to play it without all this crap happening. So this weekend I thought ok i'll try it one more time so I had a chance of playing NFSU. To my delight they installed ok and i followed nvidia's instructions of disabling download accelerators whilst downloading the drivers (didn't have download accelerator anyway), disabling anti-virus progs whilst installing and before installing uninstall the previous drivers from the add/remove programs section in the control panel.

So everything was ok. I loaded up NFSU and it started ok and then it froze once for 15secs and I thought ok this is probably a one off. But now what happens is that every 5 or so minutes it freezes for 15secs and then carries on. This happens when playing crazy taxi 3 as well so im guessing there's something going wrong with the graphics card.

I'm pretty p'd off to say the least.

I'm very new to all the technics of a computer so if you can help please try and explain it as you would to a novice hehe :)!

Thanks in Advance
- Dean

I've found the 21.83 Detonator drivers to be excellent for my GeForce 2/3 cards. The latest drivers are more for the FX's than anything else.

i also agree with the 21.83 have a mahince i sold to a friend wiht a geforce2 and its using those drivers and it runs far better than it was running an 4x.xx or 5x.xx drivers.

This whole unified driver stuff is a load of crock. I don't want to download big freaking drivers for a bunch of cards, when they only work well for the newest ones. That's crap. Release a driver for the TNT2, release the driver for the GF DDR, release a driver for the GF2, release a driver for the GF3, release a driver for the GF4, release a driver for the GFFX.

Same goes to ATI.

Originally posted by number69
Homosexual drivers? :confused:

Not that i'm politically correct, but numbah69 is right, bash the homosexuals in a more witty manner next time. kthx.

Originally posted by kleptophobiac
This whole unified driver stuff is a load of crock. I don't want to download big freaking drivers for a bunch of cards, when they only work well for the newest ones. That's crap. Release a driver for the TNT2, release the driver for the GF DDR, release a driver for the GF2, release a driver for the GF3, release a driver for the GF4, release a driver for the GFFX.

Same goes to ATI.

no.

My apologies for the homosexual comment. Was done out of anger and not in reference to any dislike towards homosexuals.

Had anyone any advice for me on the matter? I don't know what to do from here...

Originally posted by Dean Clatworthy
My apologies for the homosexual comment. Was done out of anger and not in reference to any dislike towards homosexuals.

Had anyone any advice for me on the matter? I don't know what to do from here...

Completely uninstall your current drivers, and install an older set. Personally, I liked the 30.82 series driver the best, when I had a Geforce3 video card. Newer games might need a newer driver for bug fixes though. Also, I had good luck running the 45.23 drivers. I would definitely not run the newest Forceware drivers on that older card.

Well i'm so annoyed with it right now I think I might just end up buying a new graphics card as next time I get a pc i'm going to build it anyway with a friend of mine's help.

Any reccomendations? I don't want to go spending more than £100 if possible :)

I have been using the 45.23 dets for awhile now (card in sig), with no problems on any games (including NFSU).

I normally uninstall drivers from the control panel, and then use detonater destroyer ( most vid driver removing programs get the job done ) to remove any remnants that windows likes to hold on to. Then install new drivers.

Originally posted by kleptophobiac

Same goes to ATI.

I agree. My Ti4400 gets graphical glitches with the 53.xx drivers...but i have to use them to play games such as Far Cry. I think the Unified nVidia drivers are stretching themselves a little thin.

Back