Gears of War (PC, 2007) question

fightingfi

2[H]4U
I asked a long time ago would this game work on windows 10 does anyone know?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 0
if you have it try it. if you dont have it, its $20 on the windows store and will work for sure.

From memory, it'll work fine but you can't access a lot of functionality (like saving and even co-op) because that's all tied to GFWL. The Windows Store one is actually a remaster, so it's a good option for $20 if you like the original.

The answer is the same as back then. You can't install directly from the disc because SafeDisc DRM no longer works on Windows Vista and later. And you can no longer download the game digitally due to Games for Windows Live being shutdown. Bite the bullet and buy the Ultimate Edition from the Microsoft Store. Saving $4 isn't worth the potential of buying from a shady seller. It's also on Game Pass for PC.

The answer is the same as back then. You can't install directly from the disc because SafeDisc DRM no longer works on Windows Vista and later. And you can no longer download the game digitally due to Games for Windows Live being shutdown. Bite the bullet and buy the Ultimate Edition from the Microsoft Store. Saving $4 isn't worth the potential of buying from a shady seller. It's also on Game Pass for PC.

Just out of curiosity I tried it with the disc and it takes some time installing, but it seems to work fine after manually downloading a few of the patches. I got an error upon launching the installer from the disc, it said something about it possibly not working correctly, I clicked on the look for updates button, it installed games for windows marketplace after which it installed from disc, tried to run the game but got an error, after a quick google to see, I downloaded a zip with the 3 patches, ran them in order and managed to get the game running after that.

Just out of curiosity I tried it with the disc and it takes some time installing, but it seems to work fine after manually downloading a few of the patches. I got an error upon launching the installer from the disc, it said something about it possibly not working correctly, I clicked on the look for updates button, it installed games for windows marketplace after which it installed from disc, tried to run the game but got an error, after a quick google to see, I downloaded a zip with the 3 patches, ran them in order and managed to get the game running after that.

Are you able to save or get multiple accounts going (needed for co-op) or anything like that? For a while, Microsoft has been having players download a super stripped down version of GFWL to get some older games working. GTA4, Street Fighter x Tekken, and such. Some stuff worked, but others didn't at all. I'm just curious how they're handling a game from a totally different era.

The game should run fine if you use the last version of the GFWL package so you can still authenticate and use your profile. The issue is getting the game to install. The retail boxed version of the game uses SafeDisc which is supposed to have been one of the legacy DRM schemes that Microsoft stopped supporting, and the marketplace itself is no longer available so you can't download the game anymore. I'm more interested in how you got the game to install than how you got it running.

The game should run fine if you use the last version of the GFWL package so you can still authenticate and use your profile. The issue is getting the game to install. The retail boxed version of the game uses SafeDisc which is supposed to have been one of the legacy DRM schemes that Microsoft stopped supporting, and the marketplace itself is no longer available so you can't download the game anymore. I'm more interested in how you got the game to install than how you got it running.

From the disc, took a while and the installer seemed unresponsive most of the time but the drive was doing stuff so I just let it continue after 10+ mins the installer moved on, unpacked stuff and that was it. Like I said i did a "look for updates online" on the error I got w<hen first running the installer.

Now since I was just curious if it would install and run and had no real intention to play the game I already uninstalled it after playing for 5 min.

I remember that game used to take FOR-EVER to install. I always had a decent DVD-ROM, but it was like a 45-minute ordeal back in the day. Whatever kind of compression they were using was bonkers. Stranglehold (the John Woo Hard Boiled spin-off game) was the only other game I recall taking more than 10-15 minutes.

Sigh

This is the first time I got burned by a digital purchase. My Windows Store copy is gone! I vastly preferred the original PC release, over the UE. It runs smoother and is better optimized overall. However, I think MS ended up giving me the UE edition for free after awhile. It's in my queue. I wish they'd just patch out GFWL.

Back