Gates Unveils Vision For Connected World

HardOCP News

[H] News
InfoWorld has coverage of Bill Gates’ speech at CES on the idea of a connected home. Gates is not only taking about a connected home but a expanding that “connectedness” outside the home as well.

Microsoft has been promoting the idea of a connected home, where multiple devices can access and share multimedia content stored on a PC or a central server hub, for some time, but so far only the most savvy or wealthy technology enthusiasts have realized even a piece of that vision.

What seems to be missing from Bill's vision of the connected home is the infestation of DRM. How are we going to be able to listen/watch what we want, where we want, when we want when DRM restrictions won't let you share media between devices? I guess we'll all have to buy M$ products to play all our media - oh, wait, they aren't all compatible either!

M$ is going to have to decide how much it wants to realize it's founder's vision of the connected home. I'm not sure why M$ thinks they have to play the DRM game with the big media pirates. What good is it to have monoploy power if you're not going to use it? I mean, really, M$ could just tell the media pirates that you'll just have to have an open standard that will play anywhere or we won't let ANY of your DRM infested media play on our OS. That would be a welcome switch for M$, but I don't see that happening.

Just seems to me that M$ is never going to be able to realize Bill's vision for a connected home with all the DRM in place and limits that M$ is placing on whatever media people want. M$ needs to support Blu-Ray and HD-DVD - not choose one over the other.

Hmmm. Can anyone say "Skynet"?

Sorry, just watched Terminator 3:Rise of the Machines

Back