Gaming Rig, thoughts on the setup?

RuyZ

n00b
so, building a system, mainly ive falen victem to the corperate whims of ea and am now upgrading my computer, generally for the sake of bf2, eitherway, what do you guys think of this setup?

DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 ULTRA-D MOTHERBOARD ATX S939 NFORCE4 ULTRA DDR

AMD ATHLON 64 3000+ S939 VENICE 1.8GHZ 512K L2 CACHE 90NM

ASUS EXTREME AX800XL/2DTV RADEON X800 XL 256MB 256BIT DDR PCI-E

CORSAIR VALUE SELECT PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR400 184PIN DIMM DUAL CHANNEL

MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX 10 200GB SATA 7200RPM 16MB 9MS

10 bills all in all, anyways, thoughts? by the way, if this is the case, im buying a 2nd gig men, / another hd to run raid eventually, when money permits :)

Good setup -- but -- I don't see why you would not spend the extra $80 to go with a 3500+ instead :confused:

Nightfall84 said:
Good setup -- but -- I don't see why you would not spend the extra $80 to go with a 3500+ instead :confused:
Maybe he doesnt have an extra $80. Anyway, good build, I need to start getting me some cash to build a new PC.

$80 isn't that much money. Wait 2 more weeks for your next paycheck, it's worth the wait, and the 400MHz.

3000+? It won't cost all that much to push that up to 3500, and it's practically the heart of your computer. You'll enjoy the little push in speed when doing all the other non-gaming on your computer as well. You don't need to spend an excess of money on bleeding edge processors, but you may find out you'll regret scrimping on it.

dfi boards dont get along with corsair memory. also i wouldnt put any "value" type memory in that board. it has a hard enough time with the good stuff much less trying to get it stable with the "value" stuff. ag at dfi street has tried alot of the value stuff and didnt care for it. he works for dfi.

knothead34 said:
dfi boards dont get along with corsair memory. also i wouldnt put any "value" type memory in that board. it has a hard enough time with the good stuff much less trying to get it stable with the "value" stuff. ag at dfi street has tried alot of the value stuff and didnt care for it. he works for dfi.

I have to agree with this guy, I've been lucky with my corsair memory on my ultra-d... but definitely go and do your research on http://www.dfi-street.com/ before you purchase the dfi motherboard. You might also need to consider your power supply, 24pin native connector? 500 watt? Enough amps on the 12V rails?

Also with a venice 3200 you can use the 10 multiplier, I've got mine running at 260x10 right now perfectly stable since the day I built it. Nice 600 mhz overclock.

Great setup but if you are upgrading for BF2 then you need to go ahead and get 2GB of RAM. It makes a world of difference.

MrWolf710 said:
Great setup but if you are upgrading for BF2 then you need to go ahead and get 2GB of RAM. It makes a world of difference.

now i thought there was not much of a difference between one gig and two gig's
performace wise :confused:

I recently upgraded my proc/mobo, you can see them in my sig. I'm very very happy with both. I did lots of researching on threads here and other places to find what were the best buys for the money. I would suggest getting the 3200 over the 3000 because of the multiplyer. i've got mine at 250x10 with no problems, and temps are pretty much the same as stock. very nice. also, i do suggest the thermalright xp-90 for 30 bucks if you have the money, or maybe upgrade to it later, and some arctic silver while your at it. the temps with this thing are WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the stock hsf. also, some 92mm panaflo fan is what i got to go with it, very awesome package.

I built the following complete system for just under $900 shipped total. Its a great BF2 machine and I would very highly reccomend it.

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
Chaintech VNF4 Ultra MB
4x512 Corsair VS ram
200gb Seagate 7200.7
6800gt w/ VF700CU
Skyhawk MSR-4680 Case
Thermaltake tt-420ad PSU
NEC ND3540a DVD+-RW
Floppy, etc...

got the 6800gt OEM off ebay for $188 shipped with one of the paypal 10% off coupons and I got everything else on sale at New Egg or ZZF.

-(Xyphox)- said:
now i thought there was not much of a difference between one gig and two gig's
performace wise :confused:

With that game there is. Even with my machine, when it was equipped with one GB of ram, there was stuttering at times. With 3GB, stuttering is completely eliminated and load times for the maps have been cut in half.

Get a 3500 in there, I built a computer 6 months ago for less and its almost as fast.

Back