• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Gaming headset?

Dasuchin

n00b
Joined
May 25, 2009
Messages
51
I'm looking to replace my logitech gaming headset that recently crapped out on me. Can anyone recommend good ones for under $100? Also, if i get one that only has analog connections, can i reuse the analog to usb adapter that came with the logitech headset i currently have?
So far im looking at the Plantronics GameCom 377 since its only $45
 
Your options are limited if you're sticking purely with a headset. I'd highly suggest you look into a headphone + mic combo. I personally use a Xonar DX + Audio Technica A700 + Logitech USB desktop mic. Generally I would suggest an open air headphone for a bigger soundstage (for better positional audio) if you don't need the isolation (ie. you don't have a roommate and you don't need to block out outside sound).

For headsets that aren't too expensive, I've always liked the Sennheiser PC156's and PC166's. They're not as blingy as the more gamer marketed brands like Logitech, but it does what it does pretty well. I, and a lot of other people here, don't buy into a lot of the gimmicks of "gamer" headsets. You can get them for about $55 and $85, respectively. The mic Sennheiser puts on those two models is surprisingly nice for the price.

For separate solutions, a desktop mic will run you about $15-20, clip-on will be about $10. Headphones, of course, come in a gazillion varieties and price points. If you're going with the Logitech desktop mic like I did, get the USB version. The mic jack version is incredibly underpowered; you'll need to max every software boosting and amplification setting you can just to be audible.
 
what are some clip on mics that are good? all ive found was the zalman one but the reviews are hit and miss it seems. as far as the desktop mics go, ive always thought the voice quality was bad and it didnt pick it up very well.
 
what are some clip on mics that are good? all ive found was the zalman one but the reviews are hit and miss it seems. as far as the desktop mics go, ive always thought the voice quality was bad and it didnt pick it up very well.

I've heard that Zalman clip on mic is the best mic for the money.
 
Back
Top