• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gaming headset $20-40

Rouzuki

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2007
Messages
279
Anyone know of a good gaming headset between 20 and forty bucks? I see the Logitech Precision for about 15 bucks but I've read that its made poorly and breaks easily.
 
honestly at the $20-$40 range, not many good options exist, at least imho

the Logitech I found to be very uncomfortable and have terrible sound quality (as in bad positioning)

I'd really suggest raising your budget a bit, like Creative or Sennheiser in the $60-$100 range, as you'll likely get something more comfortable with better positional audio
 
With the Sennheiser a separate mic has to be purchased right?

Which mic would you recommend?
 
With the Sennheiser a separate mic has to be purchased right?

Which mic would you recommend?

not always, they do sell a number of headset models

but yes, a separate mic can be purchased if you just wanna grab whatever headphones you'd like, the Zalman clip-on mic is seemingly popular, aside from that, more or less anything will work (SQ doesn't matter all that much for vent/steam imho ;))
 
not always, they do sell a number of headset models

but yes, a separate mic can be purchased if you just wanna grab whatever headphones you'd like, the Zalman clip-on mic is seemingly popular, aside from that, more or less anything will work (SQ doesn't matter all that much for vent/steam imho ;))

I like to hear what's going on around me, headphones will limit my hearing. Not hearing a person walk up behind me and tap me on the shoulder while I'm gaming freaks me out. Can I just use my desktop 2.1 speakers and just use a clip on mic?
 
I like to hear what's going on around me, headphones will limit my hearing. Not hearing a person walk up behind me and tap me on the shoulder while I'm gaming freaks me out. Can I just use my desktop 2.1 speakers and just use a clip on mic?

well, open headphones won't limit your hearing

as far as using desktop speakers and a mic, not really, as it'll be VERY annoying for anyone you decide to use the thing with (they'll have to hear everything you hear, including their mic feeds, game audio, background noises in the room, etc)

a headset is preferred in this application, as you'll isolate the output sound from the mic, and have a higher degree of immersion in the game, although if this doesn't work for you personally, not many other options but speakers and a mic, or just give up the mic
 
I second the headphones plus mic track. I bought numerous 20-40 headsets and had them all break on me (and sound bad). So I finally bought a pair of Sennheiser HD550s. They sound great, don't break and are open (so I can hear stuff around me). If you can swing the extra amount, it is definitely a better option and you won't have to purchase another set for a long time. :) Check out J&R for prices, that is where I bought mine.
 
well, open headphones won't limit your hearing

as far as using desktop speakers and a mic, not really, as it'll be VERY annoying for anyone you decide to use the thing with (they'll have to hear everything you hear, including their mic feeds, game audio, background noises in the room, etc)

a headset is preferred in this application, as you'll isolate the output sound from the mic, and have a higher degree of immersion in the game, although if this doesn't work for you personally, not many other options but speakers and a mic, or just give up the mic


I second the headphones plus mic track. I bought numerous 20-40 headsets and had them all break on me (and sound bad). So I finally bought a pair of Sennheiser HD550s. They sound great, don't break and are open (so I can hear stuff around me). If you can swing the extra amount, it is definitely a better option and you won't have to purchase another set for a long time. :) Check out J&R for prices, that is where I bought mine.

Thanks, I'll go with Sennheiser also, The open design is very important since I need to hear what's going on around me.
 
Yea, check out the HD 555s (sorry not 550). I have had nothing but positive experiences with them and the sound is incredible!
 
I have a set of Sennheiser HD457 (no mic included) off amazon (was like $25 and I had a $10 credit) and have nothing to say bad about them. I have used them with my X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro with CMSS and Crytalizer and they sound amazing for open headphones. I also plugged them into my Nintendo DS Lite and played some Mario & Luigi: Bowser inside story and again amazed by how good it sounded.

They do have some added bass but not too much in my opinion to hurt the treble. They are also extremely lightweight! I'm by no means an audiophile and haven't done any testing against what else is out there, but for me, $25 would be a great price, and at $15 these are like theft ;)
 
If you could stretch your budget to $80ish.

By far the Audio Technicas ATH-AD700 are the best headphones for gaming. Although it is an audiophile headphone, meaning you would get a ridiculous sound quality through music and what not, it has the best soundstage, soundstage needed in positional audio. They are very comfortable as well. Too comfortable...

No offense to other peoples that have advertised "Gaming Headphones", but they are just plain rubbish.

Stereo headphones like the AD700 bash them.
 
If you could stretch your budget to $80ish.

By far the Audio Technicas ATH-AD700 are the best headphones for gaming. Although it is an audiophile headphone, meaning you would get a ridiculous sound quality through music and what not, it has the best soundstage, soundstage needed in positional audio. They are very comfortable as well. Too comfortable...

No offense to other peoples that have advertised "Gaming Headphones", but they are just plain rubbish.

Stereo headphones like the AD700 bash them.

Those are the ones I'm buying.
 
everything suggested in this thread is going to be good for gaming

honestly I wouldn't go so far as to insist any single model of headphones are "the best ever" for anything
 
+1 My roommate had a pair of the ATH-AD700s. While they were good, I still liked my HD 555s better. It is EXTREMELY subjective though. Grats on your purchase! I hope you enjoy them! They do sound very nice.
 
I have the Zalman clip on mic attached to my HD280's cord about 8 inches form where the cord goes into the headphone and the people I play with say I sound great.

Great mic for $12.
 
Back
Top