games/apps on OS partition?

JHay

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2002
Messages
166
Do you guys install apps/games on the same partition as the one you've installed your OS? I've partitioned my hd in thirds: 1 for OS, 2 for downloads, 3 for backups. Will installing a bunch of apps/games on the OS partition slow the operational speed of the OS down? Would you recommend I install everything on a separate partition?
 
Not a huge fan of multiple partitions. I have done it in the past and would admit that it has its place, but I've never seen a noticable speed increase one way or the other. Defrags will be quicker the way you are currently set up as opposed to one large partition.

There is a false sense of security with multiple partitions regarding backups. If the drive craters your backups go along with it. My preference is multiple HDDs.

"Would you recommend I install everything on a separate partition?"
I wouldn't recommend for or against it. More of a personal preference thing. Just keep in mind that when you format your "c:" partition & reinstall windows, you will have to reinstall your apps and games too meaning the other partition(s) will be cluttered with worthless installs. So you end up going through another step of deleting stuff you no longer want then defragging. Great for data like docs, media, address book, favorites etc, not so great for programs. Kind of kills the benefit imho.

there's nothing "wrong" with the way you are doing it. But I'd grab another drive for backups. :)
 
Back
Top