G15 keyboard keys help

Ben83red

Weaksauce
I need some help here, my keys for the G15 keyboard are starting to wear. Several of the keys have started to wear the black covering off. Though this doesnt affect functionality, it looks really bad. Is it possible to paint over it with a more durable paint, and if so, what are the fonts used on the keyboard so I can make masks.

On a side note, I've been toying with the idea of changing the lighting in my keyboard, from all blue, to sections being different colors, like the qwerty and standard buttons being blue, the F keys being red, number pad being something else etc. Is that possible/how much power can I draw from the USB?

And another note... Has anyone ever been able to change the LCD screen in the keyboard. I like the current one, but the response rate is complete crap and blurrs too much when I run custom profiles. And id like to have a finer res screen.

I think you may be asking too much of the LCD in the keyboard and I definitely think it will be more effort than it is worth to change the display.

As for the keys wearing, as I understand it, this is a known issue to Logitech. I believe many people have been successful in getting replacement keyboards for no charge from Logitech's excellent support. The neweer keyboards do not have the paint issue. I would definitely give Logitech support a call, you won't likely be disappointed.

yeah, however you will have to send in your old keyboard first, before getting a replacement. which it a bit of PITA.

I would call Logitech as I fail to understand why the coloring of the keys would come off after such a short time. RMA this one and see if they will send you a new one.

I called them this morning, and they said they would, but I does have to ship my old keyboard. Im so sending this thing by next day air.

In the past they have sent out replacements ahead of time.

This is a well known issue.

-Larry

drizzt81 said:
yeah, however you will have to send in your old keyboard first, before getting a replacement. which it a bit of PITA.

That's a big change from past policy. They used to send out replacements and you didn't even have to return the old one.

I can only suspect their good will got severly abused, and now we all pay for it.

-Larry

Ben83red said:
I called them this morning, and they said they would, but I does have to ship my old keyboard. Im so sending this thing by next day air.

TechLarry said:
I can only suspect their good will got severly abused, and now we all pay for it.

-Larry
QFT...like all good things, must come to an end because of jackasses!

this can show you what the internals are like:
http://www.g15forums.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=41

The only way to get different sections different colors would be to change out all 3 LEDs for the GKeys, or all 6 for the main KB, or the two for the numPad.

This would have some bleed left to right, since the plexi sheet goes from one edge to the other.

You could potentially cut the plexi sheet, but that might affect KB flex or button response.

As far as the LCD goes...no one that I know of has found a replacement. It's very thin, integrated backlight, and uses a 45degree ribbon connector that is fused onto the glass itself.
th_LCD-backplatenumber.jpg

this is my photo, my guide, my photobucket etc. So I am basically linking my own pic. :)

There is a green version that someone replaced all the internal LEDs, I have done a Red version with 5000mcd 3mm LEDs, and I had even added USB snakelights to mine:
G-15-day-and-night.gif

The LCD is done with a colored film like photographers would use (light gels).

Ben83red said:
I need some help here, my keys for the G15 keyboard are starting to wear. Several of the keys have started to wear the black covering off. Though this doesnt affect functionality, it looks really bad. Is it possible to paint over it with a more durable paint, and if so, what are the fonts used on the keyboard so I can make masks.

On a side note, I've been toying with the idea of changing the lighting in my keyboard, from all blue, to sections being different colors, like the qwerty and standard buttons being blue, the F keys being red, number pad being something else etc. Is that possible/how much power can I draw from the USB?

And another note... Has anyone ever been able to change the LCD screen in the keyboard. I like the current one, but the response rate is complete crap and blurrs too much when I run custom profiles. And id like to have a finer res screen.
just get logitech to replace it...

Cool! I saw ur work mod thread. Nice job on it. I found a way to minimize the lightbleed. (ive taken apart the keyboard before) and the plexiglass is just one big sheet, which has dots to defuse the lights on it. All you do is cut it into sections, then put edging around it. Just something to block the light from bleeding. The only problem is that each color led usually needs a different amout of power. So I would have to wire them in paralell. But I was wondering how much power you could get out of the little jack where the leds are powered from. Or where else to get the power from.

use +5V from the USB plugs inside. That is how I wired up my LED Snake lights. :)

Back