FX5200 vs 9200SE

hyperion916

Limp Gawd
Im building a budget computer for a friend.

Which one is better? Both of them I can get for $50.

Uhh... i'd say the 5200 is better, only because of the 128 bit memory bus vs the 64 on the 9200 se, but both are crap cards. Try looking at getting a ti4200 or 9600pro from newegg for around 100 bucks.

Liam said:
Uhh... i'd say the 5200 is better, only because of the 128 bit memory bus vs the 64 on the 9200 se, but both are crap cards. Try looking at getting a ti4200 or 9600pro from newegg for around 100 bucks.
I recommended 9600 pro at first, but it was too much. He kept asking me to go lower and lower so I ended up with either 9200se or FX5200

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/asus-ati.html

In that review the scores seem to go back and forth. BUt its using the 64bit version of the fx5200

Both cards are POS

but if you only had a choice between the two, go 5200...but seriously spend a bit more and get regular 9200 than the crappy SE

Well whats in the rest of the system? You may be able to lower the quality of something else to get in that extra 50.

POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, $125.00
Shuttle "AN35N-Ultra" nForce2 Ultra 400 -RETAIL $54.00
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton" 1.83ghz - Retail $80.00
Kingston ValueRAM 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200 $93.00
Lite-On Black 16X DVD-ROM, Model SOHD-167T, OEM $29.50

THis was the specs initially, but I have to downgrade the video card.

Just buy one stick of 256mb ram, and get the TI4200. Load times will be a bit slow, and the games might get choppy once in a while, but it will be worth it!

Hey, I ran Halo on 128 mb ram, so I think he will be fine for a while, until he has the $ to upgrade to 512mb...

Just my opinion...

hyperion916 said:
Im building a budget computer for a friend.

Which one is better? Both of them I can get for $50.

Does your freind play any games beyond solitare?

hyperion916 said:
I believe he only plays cs some times.

I say 5200. I have it and have no problems with it. I play CS occasionally and it has work just fine. I know it isnt the best but it does run games just fine. I play NFSU, CS, DOD, GTA 3, GTA Vice City, hell even Far Cry. It isnt that bad as everyone makes it out to be. Its cheap, reliable and its playable.

I am looking to upgrade when the 6800 Ultra comes out on stores or if the 5900/5950 Ultra gets cheaper. I am just a fan of Nvidia :p (just my preference, although I dont doubt ATI, I have it for my VAIO Laptop :) )

Anyways, for this case, I would recommend the 5200 because I can speak from experience.

i have a regualer OCed 9200. plays cs at the maximum resolutions at high fps. spend a lil more for the 9200 it kicks both the cards ass. you can play bf:1942/viet, max payne 2 at medium res. i reccomend you buying a 9600pro because its going to be more future proof and hes able to play the new games with out low ass fps

You people make a bigger deal out of it than it needs to be. SO WHAT if he is going to buy a low end video card ?

He's getting a video card for a PC with an 8x agp slot, that means that if he wants to take the video card out and put a better one in LATER than he could do so and with much ease.

I'm bought a geforce 4 mx card with my PC but do you must be on LSD if you think I'm going to keep that card for any lengthy period of time. Later this year I plan on getting a 9800pro AS SOON as the prices go down enough to where I can justify it performance wise.

My advice is to go with the fx 5200, I can speak well for all the 5200 machines that I have seen recently. But later when your friend gets some more cash, get rid of or sell the 5200 and buy like a 9500 pro or something.

^^^^ NICE ! :D , fast and simple! thats how MUSHROOM PRINCE likes it! LOL :p :D
i kinda agree with him, but i dont agree with the 9500pro part, get the 9600pro or the xt. im pretty sure that the prices will drop when he gets enough money

O'Doyle said:
I say 5200. I have it and have no problems with it. I play CS occasionally and it has work just fine. I know it isnt the best but it does run games just fine. I play NFSU, CS, DOD, GTA 3, GTA Vice City, hell even Far Cry. It isnt that bad as everyone makes it out to be. Its cheap, reliable and its playable.

I am looking to upgrade when the 6800 Ultra comes out on stores or if the 5900/5950 Ultra gets cheaper. I am just a fan of Nvidia :p (just my preference, although I dont doubt ATI, I have it for my VAIO Laptop :) )

Anyways, for this case, I would recommend the 5200 because I can speak from experience.

The 5200 can't play Farcry worth a crap. If my 9600Pro didn't do that great a job at 1024x768 with NO AA or AF then a 5200 wouldn't be fast enough to run the title menu.

Sir-Fragalot said:
The 5200 can't play Farcry worth a crap. If my 9600Pro didn't do that great a job at 1024x768 with NO AA or AF then a 5200 wouldn't be fast enough to run the title menu.

Well, its not like most systems and cards run far cry well. I've heard besides that, it has performance bugs. And its only 1 game. Out of a lot.

O'Doyle said:
ive own my 9200 for almost a year now, and your saying that im not speaking from experience? and ive also ran a fx5200 for 3 days as a back up from my friend and id choose 9200 because its slighty faster, but im not saying the 5200 is a bad card but when compared with the 9200 the 9200 wins

With as many people defending their cards around here, how's someone suppose to get some real advice? No, no, I kid. ;) Actually I'd say either the 5200 or a 9200 would be fine. Just stay away from the 9200SE, as ycchan said.

ati_azn said:
ive own my 9200 for almost a year now, and your saying that im not speaking from experience? and ive also ran a fx5200 for 3 days as a back up from my friend and id choose 9200 because its slighty faster, but im not saying the 5200 is a bad card but when compared with the 9200 the 9200 wins

Are you serious man? Where did I ever state that? Did I clearly targetyou? Nope, I just meant I am speaking from experience. And from my experience with the 5200 compared with my brother's 9200 SE. I would rather he go with the 5200.

You need to relax man. :rolleyes:

O'Doyle said:
Are you serious man? Where did I ever state that? Did I clearly targetyou? Nope, I just meant I am speaking from experience. And from my experience with the 5200 compared with my brother's 9200 SE. I would rather he go with the 5200.

You need to relax man. :rolleyes:
i said comparing it with the regular 9200 not the SE :)

If you end up getting a 5200, I would recommend getting the PCI version for added utility down the road. The 5200 is currently the fastest mainstream PCI video card and you can use it as a second video card in the machine for multiple monitor setups later on when you get a decent AGP one.

To the guy who said that Far Cry wouldn't work: It runs fine on my other pc with a GF4 MX440 , which isn't even dx9, so I'm sure it'll run on an FX5200 or 9200SE

ReNeGaDe* said:
To the guy who said that Far Cry wouldn't work: It runs fine on my other pc with a GF4 MX440 , which isn't even dx9, so I'm sure it'll run on an FX5200 or 9200SE

People are just over-exaggerating it. Like I mentioned, the 5200 can run Far Cry, you will not see eye candy or anything. Every setting will be on medium and you get sufficient frame rates and its very playable, you just wont get "Eye candy." That's what the 6800 Ultra and X800 XT PE are for ;) (and the likes).

Back