Fuji X100s: Love, Hate, and Moving On

ExplodingTaco

2[H]4U
This camera is on the short list of every photographer I know. As such I thought I would post a quick review of almost one year with the x100s as my primary and only camera and why I will be moving on:

I am at most, moderately talented and based on other's work I knew that this camera can capture any image I am willing to take the time to shoot. I bought it as an experiment to see what I could do with a mirror less, fixed lens camera in one year of shooting with nothing else. I sold my DSLRs (D700 and D7000) and most lenses, the rest I gave away to a budding teenage artist who can put them to much better use than I. I had one camera, one lens, one focal length. If I were to get good images I would be doing so one way.

THE LOVE;

Equipment does not a good photographer make, and the x100s is no exception. A camera is just a tool and as a photo taking tool the x100s is very capable. I love the images that this camera can capture. If I try hard enough I can make this camera sing an incredible tune. Given the proper amount of time there is no image that the x100s cannot take that my fancy DSLR and expensive glass could capture. The image quality is fantastic. Every good camera has a distinct feel. The D700 images feel different than those of a 5DIII or a D800 or a X100s. People who state that one is the same as the others or that they all look the same either do not have an artistically subtle eye, or are selling something. All put in the hands of an accomplished photographer can produce what the mind behind it wants, but all will feel different when processed. With this in mind I love the feel of the images from this camera, I love the colors, I love the grain, I love the contract. Much like a great car the images from this camera are greater than the sum of its parts, and I am thrilled that this camera can give me exactly what I see in my head before I press the shutter.

I also love the looks that I do not get with this camera. I have yet to have someone give me a second look while taking pictures with it. I never draw attention with it. No one ever ducks out of the way, no parents ever grabs their child to make sure they are not in the line of fire. I can shoot photos and never think twice that I am making anyone uncomfortable. Many people could care less if their DSLR and 300mm 2.0 draws attention at a kids park but I am not such a person; if I were I am sure I could get better images but alas I am shy. I am 6'4" 240lbs and stick out like a sore thumb in a crowd. Put a bulky camera with a long lens and people just avoid me. I am sure if I where a more outgoing person with a different personality I could pull it off, but my uncomfortableness with making other uncomfortable can at time be debilitating to getting the image I want. The X100s solves this for me.

THE HATE

IF I take my time, IF I have time to set up, IF I am not trying to capture the moment, IF I have not bumped the shutter speed nob, IF I have not bumped the exposure knob, IF I have not left the switch on and the camera has to think for 5 seconds before if will remember that it is on, IF my subject is not moving, IF I do not need to quickly change the auto focus point, IF I have not already lost my sanity from another missed image, IF all of these things do not happen I will get the image I saw in my head before I click the shutter release.

My keep rate with a DSLR was 80-90%. Sure I would never publish or print that many but that is how many were in focus on what I wanted in focus, did not have a strange expression on a persons face or have a random thing entering the frame. My keep rate on this camera even after a year is 20% max. Part of this is my style of photography and my chosen subjects. I shoot people, I shoot my young kids, I shoot objects out of my window as I drive down the road, I shoot what I see when I see it. I do not set up most shots. My best shots are usually set up, they are ones I have been thinking about for days or weeks, but I enjoy most just capturing life as it happens. This is not a camera for that.

My walls at home are lined with pictures of my kids with an exceptional expression on their faces, some are once in a lifetime moments that I would able to capture with my DSLR and I have missed many of these since getting rid of my faster machine. This is unacceptable to my preferences and must be fixed for me to continue enjoying my hobby.

THE MOVING ON

This camera is great for those who want to slow down, who want to smell the roses, who fancy a life of Leica without the cash. In those times I enjoy this camera as well. This camera is perfect for many photographers, but I am not one of those. In the coming days I will be selling this and moving on. I will miss the discreetness which I love, I will miss the feel of the raw files which I love, but this love cannot overcome the snails pace at which this camera operates.

I have yet to find a replacement. I cannot imagine going back to a professional DSLR as I have grown to love the discreetness of this camera too much, maybe I get a DF, maybe I get two cameras, one for the park that does not stand out and one for when I get serious. I would love an A7S but until mirrorless can handle my kids a DSLR will have to remain in the stable.

Here are some shot from the last year with my X100s:

20140804-DSCF6562-L.jpg

20140816-DSCF6586-L.jpg

Vacation%20July%202014-6520-L.jpg

DSCF5525-XL.jpg

DSCF6365-L.jpg

DSCF6338-L.jpg

DSCF5600-L.jpg

DSCF5667-L.jpg

I've read this already read your comments before and clearly others have as well, but no responses. So I figured I'd do that (because sometimes acknowledgement is nice, especially on the interwebs.net).

I would say a lot of the things in your 'hate' column other prolific users of the Fuji camera system have also talked about and addressed. EG: http://youtu.be/l_WeIsE4Kk8?t=6m30s (I have the video starting at the point in which Zack starts to talk about his start with their cameras and then resolution.)

The camera is definitely designed to slow you down and make you more thoughtful and intentional. That of course is really great if you're a person that always thinks of their camera, when they see a space and form a frame in their mind. It strikes me that it isn't a camera that 'just works'. It's a camera that requires thought. This as you note doesn't fit your ideal of just being able to pick up the camera and shoot immediately.
Modern camera systems have spoiled us... as of course the Fuji operates much more like a film camera than a digital one. Just 20 years ago the world would have killed for an X100s, when the only alternative was manual focus lenses and manual/analog everything. The first Canon EOS system wasn't released until 1987. All that to say that many in the post iPhone world want simplicity the Fuji instead counters with thoughtfulness. That either appeals to you as the photographer or it doesn't. Clearly the Fuji isn't for everyone. For reference, I do have a friend who moved to 100% Fuji from Canon as a Wedding photographer. He uses an X100s and an XT-1.

So, I like the dialog you started. I hope whatever you move to it works for you. I think it's going to be hard to find a camera that fully meets your street photography requirements like the Fuji does though. I've been shooting street stuff for a while with a 5D2 and a 50mm f/1.4 (love to hear comments, never posted this particular body of work up on the [H]). It's not my first choice, but I don't 'mind' the bulk. If I had extra cash, I would probably get an X100s as a secondary camera or an SL1 with the 40mm pancake lens.

Last edited:
I agree with the above, an SL1 with the 40mm pancake is pretty dang small, and should give you fairly fast focus.

I have a X100 and X100S... I havent used them since I got my Fuji X-T1.. Tried to love the Sony A7r.. but lack of lenses.. made it difficult.. and when I used my friends other lenses... it made it almost as big as my Canon 5D Mark III....

Also I have a 4 year old and 2 year old... my fuji x-t1 have no issues tracking them running around outside or even inside.. it tracks them pretty well..

I have a X100 and X100S... I havent used them since I got my Fuji X-T1.. Tried to love the Sony A7r.. but lack of lenses.. made it difficult.. and when I used my friends other lenses... it made it almost as big as my Canon 5D Mark III....

Also I have a 4 year old and 2 year old... my fuji x-t1 have no issues tracking them running around outside or even inside.. it tracks them pretty well..

How do you like it vs your MkIII. I know they are very different but I could use the vantage point.

I love it more actually... It is small and lightweight and IQ is spectacular.. Since February.. All my photoshoots I have been using the Fuji X-T1 and Mamiya 645/digital back....

My 5D Mark III has not been touched... and I have great lenses for it.. (50L f/1.2, 135L, 17-40, 24-70 vII, 24-105, 70-200 f/2.8 IS v2, 85 f/1.4, and so forth)...

I am probably going to sell either my X100 or X100S very soon... as I do not need to many cameras :)

I am probably going to sell either my X100 or X100S very soon... as I do not need to many cameras :)

Interesting. I'll take any and all Canon donations. :) Super broke.

I got to pickup and play with a 5D3 for the first time a few weeks ago. It's everything I wanted in a dSLR and more. Touching it was a complete mistake, as it's very unlikely I'll be able to upgrade to it anytime soon. Getting all the primes for it is an entirely different difficult task. I played with the 100mm IS Macro and the 16-35mm II in the same sitting... so much beauty, so little cash.

I just put up my Sigma 85mm f/1.4 in Excellent condition for sell.. I bought it after selling my Canon f/1.2.. and it is one hell of a prime...

I love it more actually... It is small and lightweight and IQ is spectacular.. Since February.. All my photoshoots I have been using the Fuji X-T1 and Mamiya 645/digital back....

My 5D Mark III has not been touched... and I have great lenses for it.. (50L f/1.2, 135L, 17-40, 24-70 vII, 24-105, 70-200 f/2.8 IS v2, 85 f/1.4, and so forth)...

How is the X-T1 vs 100s in low light focusing?

I give the edge to the X-T1... I usually can focus on my first try in low light... Also when using strobes at f/1.2.. I love the EVF.. It allows me to focus on someone in with 0 light.... at f/1.2 :)

Also chasing my kids around the house.. I get more keepers with my X-T1 than with my X100 and x100s.

Honestly the fuji X-T1 is the camera that best suits me.. it makes photography fun.. There are tons of reviews of people switching over completely.. even famous photographers.. But again.. this is my opinion...

well the XT1 should have a far better AF system so it's not surprising that it focuses a lot faster.

From what I'm seeing the XT1 alongside the GH4, EM1,A6000 are the first mirrorless to match DSLRs in AF speed (regular not D4/EOS-X level)

Btw one thing, I don't get why would you get a x100s over the cheaper X-E2, aside from the hybrid viewfinder I don't see any advantages.

Leaf Shutter... so higher syncs speeds if you are using stobes outdoors in bright daylight stopping motion.. I love shooting at f/2.0 at 1/1000, 1/2000, 1/4000 with the builtin hardware 3stop ND filter with Einsteins, AB, etc...

Also if you do video.. that builtin ND filter helps.. and where else would you get a great f/2 pancake lens that allows the camera to be small... Yes there is the nice 27mm lens (which is my daily lens on the X-T1)... But the same zoom (Fuji 23mm f/1.4 - I know faster) makes it bigger, the 27 makes it a 41 and your stuck at f/2.8 and the 35 makes it a 50.. but still as big...

Hmmm ... i did not know about the leaf shutter ... nice feature that.

As far as the size ... I's a nice f2 compact lens but as you mentioned there are some nice x-mount pancakes so size is still in the same ballpark

Plus for video Fuji would not be my first choice, it's more of an afterthought for them ... the rx100 MIII should blow it away

----

Leaf shutter aside, having a fixed lens is just not worth the tradeoff. Personally i would only consider an x100s over an X-E2 if it were significantly cheaper.

Of course this is just my take on it, they are still nice cameras.

Well I agree.. one reason why my X-T1 gets used the most.. because of that sexy 56mm f/1.2... Some people love the fixed 35mm... Even Sony as the RX1... and the the popularity of the X100/X100S shows that there are tons of people that love a fixed lens versatile/capable camera...

Plus I am about to convert my X100 into an IR camera.. Sell the X100S and maybe pickup another lens or a X-Pro1 or E2.... Man my 5dmarkIII is feeling very lonely...

I think I am going to go D750 and keep the x100s. I loved my D700 and the price is compelling for the D750 plus I like the smaller MP compared to D810.

Back