FSB Question

Paralysis

Limp Gawd
I have an Epox 8RDA3+ with an AthlonXP 2200. It autoruns at 133MHz of course because of the chip. But I want to take advantage of the DDR333 memory I have. Will bumping it up to 166MHz be a problem?

Plus, I've been wanting to overclock this thing forever. Is there a site or such that shows what settings have worked before? I don't really want to touch all the main settings too much because I just got the MB and I don't want to fry the MB or CPU. I have a Volcano 9+ HS/Fan Combo that goes up to 5200 RPM.

Paralysis

Originally posted by Paralysis
I have an Epox 8RDA3+ with an AthlonXP 2200. It autoruns at 133MHz of course because of the chip. But I want to take advantage of the DDR333 memory I have. Will bumping it up to 166MHz be a problem?

Plus, I've been wanting to overclock this thing forever. Is there a site or such that shows what settings have worked before? I don't really want to touch all the main settings too much because I just got the MB and I don't want to fry the MB or CPU. I have a Volcano 9+ HS/Fan Combo that goes up to 5200 RPM.

Paralysis

Just increase the FSB and lock the RAM to run at 100% of FSB. You might have to bump it down to 83% fsb, or even lower, if your ram starts holding you back.

That 8rda is robust enough, youre not going to hurt it without volt mods.

That CPU, you wont hurt it without pumping the vcore up above 2v with inadequate cooling.

If you want to push your fsb, download memtest86. Lower your chips multiplier and up your fsb to 166 and boot it. Let memtest run through, no errors -- youre good.

Bring your multiplier up and test with a program like Prime95 Toture Test on Blend for several hours. If no errors, reboot and up your multiplier again. If no boot into windows, bluescreen or Prime95 errored then up your voltage 1 step up. Try again. Keep inching up like that.

To test for overall stability of an overclock run Prime95 Toture test in blend overnight. Then run 3dmark2001 in loop mode for 4 hours.

No errors, its as close to 100% stable as youre gonna get without more extensive torture testing.

Welcome to the world of overclocking procedure.

Ok, I upped the FSB to 166MHz and Locked the RAM to 100%. Then I set the Multi at 11x. Booted up Windows no problem. Ran a memory test on Sandra and a CPU test and came out fine. So I rebooted and set the Multi to 12x. MB alarm went off. So I set to 11.5x, and Windows wouldn't boot. Kept getting page fault errors. So I went back to 11x since it was working, and Windows was getting the same errors. So I put it back to stock. Would upping the vCore help any? My temp never really went up at all.

Paralysis

Ok, I upped the FSB to 166MHz and Locked the RAM to 100%. Then I set the Multi at 11x. Booted up Windows no problem. Ran a memory test on Sandra and a CPU test and came out fine. So I rebooted and set the Multi to 12x. MB alarm went off. So I set to 11.5x, and Windows wouldn't boot. Kept getting page fault errors. So I went back to 11x since it was working, and Windows was getting the same errors. So I put it back to stock. Would upping the vCore help any? My temp never really went up at all.

Paralysis

The 8RDA3+ is a bitchy, finicy OCer. :p This board is like a girl... You have to start out slow. Just increase the FSB a few MHZ at a time until it says 'no', then start raising the VCore or VDimm. :)

Keep the multiplier at default (13.5x)?

I'd clock it like a 2500+, 11x mult and slowly raise the FSB. You could probably get up around a fsb of 200 if you're careful. :)

Back