Fresh Install / Format. Driver Install Order?

AllLiving

Gawd
I just freshly formatted and reinstalled windows and was wondering if there is a guide to showing the BEST way, or order, to install drivers for the OS.

I'm curious as to whether it matters if I install SP2 first, my ATI drivers, DX9, etc etc.

Thanks for the help.

I tend to install the OS with the latest SP slipstreamed.

Drivers in this order: mobo, video, sound, misc.
DX.
windows update.
3rd party software.

There is no "correct" order for the whole mess. There are lots of things you could swap places, and it wouldn't matter one bit.

I follow this order:

1.- XP with SP2 slipstreamed or 2000 with SP4 slipstreamed
2.- Nic drivers if needed
3.- All critical windows updates
4.- Chipset drivers
5.- Videocard drivers
6.- Soundcard drivers

Never had a problem whis way, hope it helps :D

0ldMX

The only comment I'll make is that anytime I see answers to this question, it seems that the chipset drivers are always first, in the scheme of drivers. I've always done it this way, as do most others, so I'd stick to that order.

Slipstreaming the latest SP is also a huge time saver as well. Google AutoStreamer if you want to easiest software available to do it.

Assuming the latest SP is slipstreamed into the install:

Chipset drivers
DirectX
Video card
rest of the drivers
Windows update

That's how I do it. As the other two said, it really doesn't matter much what the order is. I don't even think the chipset has to be first, but I'm not 100% positive.

Also, if you're not behind a NAT enabled router, install a firewall before you do Windows updates.

djnes said:
The only comment I'll make is that anytime I see answers to this question, it seems that the chipset drivers are always first, in the scheme of drivers. I've always done it this way, as do most others, so I'd stick to that order.

Slipstreaming the latest SP is also a huge time saver as well. Google AutoStreamer if you want to easiest software available to do it.
I try to install drivers on an "inside-out" basis starting with the mobo, leaving peripherials last.

Ask me again tomorrow and I'll probably give you a slightly different list, no hard and fast rules here. :D

I usually go:

Chipset/Mobo Drivers
Video Drivers/Sound Drivers
Windows Update
Direct X/Whatever Misc thing are needed.

HHunt said:
Doesn't XP ship with the firewall enabled?

Yes, but how many people actually slipstream SP2 into their install CD's? ;)

Whatever downloads first when I tell Windows to search for hardware drivers via the web has always worked for me. :eek:

Back