Freeze ups result of heat?

TheComputerguy

Limp Gawd
Well...

I can do anything like play music, and rip...watch movies...

I want to play WarCraft III, and Battlefield Vietnam...I get into the middle of a game...and boom it locks up! The CPU is a 2200 MHZ AMD...with the standard heatsink and fan. The temp stats when it reboots says its between 129-137 degrees F...
I think its the temperature causing these errors.

Is there anything else that could cause freezeups during these games? I do know they are cpu intensive...

I don't think it should be locking at 58C.... my old pIII cherfully sits at 80c and is pretty stable... although once I realise it's gotten that hot it's sleepy time for it.

Run one of the cpu burn in type apps like prime95 or something, see how that goes. A game is very intense on everything, cpu, ram, viedo card, HD, there's a lot that could go wrong. Try and test everything individually if possible.

So, prime95 for cpu and other people will list things to help you with the others. Perhaps. It's hard to tell around here.

I just had that baby cooling at 107 degrees. I put another fan right beside it...it seemed to last longer than normal...but not quite what I wanted. It seemed to look the last bit of the song, and the picture was frozen...that sucked.

Perhaps a P3 can get away with 80C, but no modern chip can! AMD and Intel warn about going above 70 being very dangerous for the CPU... (Intel downclocks the CPU automatically to keep from going above 60 or maybe that was 50.) I don't remember specific numbers well, but I THINK that they were warning that 75C would fry an Athlon (not as tasty as it sounds, it smells quite bad indeed.) While it is true that USUALLY they will run at high temperatures, 58 sounds to me like it's getting dangerously close to the instability range. Anyway, if nothing else, it's not good for the lifetime of that thing.

You may wish to consider better cooling (the factory heatsinks aren't usually very good, the one I had before required me to underclock to get it stable -- apparently AMD thought everyone lives in a refrigerator when they approved it...) BTW, you said 2200MHz, do you really mean 2200MHz, or is it called 2200+? If so, it's considerably below 2200 MHz. Be sure you aren't overclocking too.

Anyway, other than this, vinnie is right. You NEED to run something such as Prime95 or SiSoft Sandra! I personally recommend Sandra as it's less work on you to properly test. Just use the burn-in wizard, set it to only use one of the tests and to run about 10 times or so. Start with the CPU arithmetic test. When you finish testing the CPU, you should test the memory too as that's another weak point. Use the bandwidth test for that, again on about 10 times or so. More is better, but takes longer. You can also set Sandra to monitor temperatures though it seems to not be 100% accurate since I get slightly lower numbers in it than in the program provided by my motherboard manufacturer (and I tend to trust higher over lower unless I have good reason not to.)

After you've done all that, if it hasn't crashed through any of those, it may well be the video card. I personally recommend 3DMark2001 for this. 3DMark2003 will work about the same, but it tends to use CPUs a little bit more and requires a newer card unless I'm mistaken. You could also use other similar things such as AquaMark, but most tend to use the CPU too much to be a completly objective test, which is what we need here.

If you want to know for sure what your problem is, you need to do these things and that way you can find out just what is going wrong most likely. If you don't do that, you can never be sure which component is causing the instability.

BTW, power supply CAN cause troubles, but most likely you would have seen less stability with an extra fan than without if it were that. I have this issue (soon to be corrected) and I find much more stability by unplugging a lot of my fans. You could try this, but you are already running so hot that even if that is it you will still have serious issues since it will run too hot for sure. You might try unplugging anything like a second harddrive, cd/dvd-rom, and other non-essentials just to be sure though.

Oh, and this most probably doesn't belong in the software section. Especially since you believe it to be the temperatures. Only if it really were the drivers (while not impossible, rather highly unlikely that you would just happen to notice really high temperatures at the same time) would it belong in the software section.

Back