FreeSync flickering: There is no escape.

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 7, 2005
Messages
1,709
The FreeSync flickering on my Samsung C32HG70 has long been an annoyance which no amount of hours spent tinkering could fix. I had been wanting to get back into 21:9/IPS so I ordered an LG 34UC80-B and it is amazing with not a single flicker or brightness change. too flickers like it's trying to induce a seizure. Is this just normal FS/VRR behavior that most aren't bothered by or don't notice?

I know it's not the GPU because it does it on NVIDIA and AMD cards.



The first person to mention GSYNC in any context is getting their fedora knocked off.
 
With the Samsung C32HG70, it is a side effect of using the more aggressive "Ultimate Engine" FreeSync 2 setting. When using the "Ultimate Engine", Freesync will work at any refresh rate between 48-144 Hz. You can switch Freesync to the "Standard Engine" instead, and there should be no flickering anymore, but using the "Standard Engine" means Freesync will only work at higher refresh rates. It's a trade-off.

I personally keep my C32HG70 set to the "Ultimate Engine" as I don't really think the flickering is all that bad and I only really notice it at all when looking at something like a static loading screen.
 
Design flaw. Sorry to say but do more homework next time or as GotNoRice said to do as a fix.
 
Back
Top