FreeNAS alternative? USB NTFS drives..

Status
Not open for further replies.

xlt92explorer

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
1,135
Hey guys, quick question - I did search, but I wasn't sure quite how to phrase the query..

I'm looking for something just like FreeNAS - but with the capability to add a USB hard drive or flash drive while at a LAN to easily share files. I've got an old box I'm planning to use with a 1TB and a 750GB drive. Ability to install to a flash drive would be a plus, but isn't necesary. Any suggestions?
 
I'm not very familiar with FreeNAS but with a linux machine you can easily mount the USB drive and then set up a NFS/SMB share over your network. I do it all the time. I have an ext4 external drive that is usually plugged into my ubuntu laptop and then I share it and access it from my windows desktop.
 
I believe it can be done from the shell in FreeNAS too..I'm looking for something that I can do from a web interface across the LAN so that I don't have to carry a KVM or an additional console. Thanks for the suggestion!
 
openfiler and freenas are the two more popular ones... you could just setup ubuntu on a flash drive and use webmin to manage it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top