• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Free Cloud Backup Services Thoughts?

limitedaccess

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
7,592
I've been looking into some these, but there seems to be so many choices. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I'm mainly looking to backup some files that are either important documents or contain passwords/account type information, so storage space isn't the most important, but security and reliability.

So far I'm looking at SpiderOak or Wuala.

The other thing I am thinking about is using a more space oriented service for volume, for things I consider less important.

I assume regardless of the security policy of the service, encrypting everything using Truecrypt should still be standard practice? (the passwords are stored using keypass as well)
 
If you are using a very small amount of space, like only a few gigs that the free services would give you then I would use Tarsnap, its secure and reliable (hosted on Amazon). Its run by the head of BSD security. I would have gone with it but I needed to back up over 50gigs so I went with a 4$/month Crashplan unlimited account.

http://www.tarsnap.com/

http://www.crashplan.com/

note: in case you are running windows, tarsnap is linux/bsd/solaris only, so you would need cygwin or something, also tarsnap does cost money but if you just had a gig it would be like 30cents per month, basically nothing.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top