found answer, mod plz lock/delete thread

ne0-reloaded

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for a utility that will allow me to delete everything off some hard drives. i need to make sure that someone can't install a recovery up and get all the deleted files back. the computers were siezed from a pedophile by the police dept, so i need to make sure that all data is permanently gone. if i recall correctly i believe the nsa has a certain way they do it, but im not exactly sure wat its called.

Im looking for a free solution btw.

thanks

edit: never mind found what i was looking for

You really should post the solution when you create a thread about a problem you're having. It might help someone else down the road.

Solution:
Download the ultimate boot CD (basic) from here.

Boot and run Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBan) under the HDD utils (several pages into the menu).
Select multiple passes, format type and go.

the UBCD also has Auotclave

S1nF1xx said:
You really should post the solution when you create a thread about a problem you're having. It might help someone else down the road.

Indeed

some people are actually rumored to employ the search feature :p

to that end

LLF
erase
lowlevelformat
low level format
overwrite

(of course its not a true low level format that has to be doen at the factory these days its simply a zero or multiple pattern fill)

Ice Czar said:
the UBCD also has Auotclave
The writer of autoclave actually recommend DBan now. He's not supporting it anymore and concedes DBan is more effective.

Linky. (autoclave's home page)

"Autoclave End Of Life Notice
March 3, 2005

Effective immediately, I will no longer be supporting Autoclave, a floppy-based hard drive erasing utility, except in the case of University of Washington staff, faculty and students who are used to using Autoclave and need help with the transition to a different product.

I recommend the use of Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN) rather than Autoclave. DBAN has much better hardware support, better customization options, a better selection of erase methods, and a better user interface. It is better than Autoclave in all respects I can think of, and I say that as the author of Autoclave. "

edit: on a side note...
Ice Czar said:
some people are actually rumored to employ the search feature :p
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah right... :D:D:D

Back