Formatting Win2000 Help Please

Hi,

I'm trying to format C: (by right-clicking C: -> Format) on a friend's old computer running Windows 2000, but I keep getting this error:

"Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure no window is displaying the contents of the drive. And then try formatting again."

There are no windows open displaying the contents of the drive, but I do not know what a disk utility is. I've checked the processes tab in the task manager, and most of the processes are critical system processes, though I've tried ending them all. Whenever I try to end any process or process tree (this is non-system processes), I get this error:

"Operation cannot be completed.

Access is denied."

I thought maybe the account was restricted, but I checked, it is an administrator account.

I also tried formatting through the command prompt, but I got this error:

"Format cannot run because volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? <Y/N>"

I pressed 'y', and got this error:

"Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use."

I think I may know the problem, but I don't want to do this until I know I won't screw anything up. I'm was planning on installing XP on this computer after the formatting, but I think I may have to do it before. I think it won't format because the system files are on C:, and you need the system files to run the computer. Do I need to install XP first, and then delete all of the Windows 2000 data?

Please help,
Andrew

you cannot format a drive that is in-use.
In this case Windows (as in the operating-system, not windows as in an application window [Stupidest name of a product EVER!]) is at this moment running and thus format cannot format... itself

you need to boot of another disk to wipe C:\

Since you say you are planning on installing XP "after the formatting" just boot your XP disk and one of the first options (in the curses-like interface) is to format the drive

Ok, the XP disk is in, and I can't find where to format.

Under 'What do you want to do?' it says

Install XP
Perform additional tasks
Check system compatibility.

I assumed it was under 'Perform addition tasks', but when I click it, all it has is:

Set up Remote Desktop
Set up a home or small office network
Transfer files and settings
Browse this CD
View the release notes
Install .NET Framework
Back

What should I do?

go straight for "install XP"
you will be greated with a partition-like app

Back