Formatting but don't wan to reactivate

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
So I want to do a format for an xp machine, but I know it's gonna need to be activated again and I'm gonna have to call microsoft and blah blah. But I know there are two files that you can copy and then paste over after the install but I can't find/remember what they are. Anyone know?

why not just reactivate if it is a legal copy? it only takes like 5 minutes total on the phone with ms

Please don't take this as a thread crap, but this is borderline illegal activity, and could get the thread locked. If you have a legal copy, just re-activate....it's never been a pain. If you format often, look into creating an activated Ghost image.

I don't see how this could be illegal activity, I own all the copies of xp I just don't like calling them, and I'm too lazy for a ghost.

in the time it took you to create this thread you could have just called ms

Dallows said:
I don't see how this could be illegal activity, I own all the copies of xp I just don't like calling them, and I'm too lazy for a ghost.

Because circumventing activation and/or copy-protection of software is illegal. Ghost takes 5 minutes....hardly any effort needed at all.

I thought this has been frowned upon in the past.

It may be legal for you, but anyone could apply the info to non-legal systems. Essently your asking how to bypass security, a general no-no.

I only posted because I thought I remembered mods OKing this in the past, as it assumes a one-time correct activation.

My understanding is that it doesn't work across hardware changes.

Without getting into the details, transferring the files from a previous install should be OK with forum rules, and legal.

Extend that info one step further and it's not... Still I guess you have to have access to them, but I think you know where I'm going with this.

I'm not exactlly how the mods feel about it, I though they were against it. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm kosher with the link you posted, heck it's even a "legit" site. :p

compslckr said:
in the time it took you to create this thread you could have just called ms

not true. I called them before and that's why I don't want to do it again. It took 10 minutes and I had to call twice. And besides I posted during class, not near the computer.

I have never ever ever had a problem activating.... it never took me more than 5 Min (phone) or 10 seconds via an internet connection.

Back