Formating Disk with Upgrade ver of XP

Nicklepro

n00b
Ok my computer has alot of little problems running around and i wish to reformat it from scratch. I had windows 98 and I upgraded it with a Windows XP Home Ugrade editition. Now I want to reformat my disk but can I do it with just the upgrade version of XP? And no i don't have my 98 cd or anything. I had bought this computer from this guy and windows 98 was already on it.

Can you use the XP upgrade CD to essentially reformat your system?

In otherwords, boot from the upgrade disk and do a reinstall?

Sorry, I've never used any upgrade cd's so I'm not sure what options you have.

EDIT:
You should be able to do a "Repair Install"... that will replace all the system files and upgrades, but will leave your applications, documents and settings... that probably doesn't help you much...

I think while in the process of a clean install, the upgrade version asks for proof of upgrade, just insert your win98 disk when requested, once its passed, the clean install should continue as usual.

OldMX

OldMX said:
I think while in the process of a clean install, the upgrade version asks for proof of upgrade, just insert your win98 disk when requested, once its passed, the clean install should continue as usual.

OldMX

He doesn't have a win98 cd....

or were you subtley hinting...

No I don't have my 98 cd. Thats what im trying to go around is there a way you can get around the "proving you have the 98 cd" thing?

"The" way is to get a 98CD, you can order replacement media from MS if you have a valid license. Otherwise buy one off of ebay, or even borrow a friends, again, if you already have a license.

Any method for getting around this cannot be dicsussed on these boards.

Back