Force text to indent in Firefox (Possible?)

Dartz

Weaksauce
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but...

Does anyone know if there is a way in Firefox to indent text (both sides) for reading?

Right now most of the websites I go to are designed for different minimum resolutions and because I don't use Firefox maximized (my screen is 1920x1200) I end up having to re-size the window to accommodate larger resolutions. I understand that, however I am getting tired resizing the window constantly for just reading text.

So if anyone knows of an add-on or something that I could use with Firefox to make reading text easier I would be really thankful.

Should I just get another monitor and use it in portrait mode? I'm sort of leaning towards that but I'm hoping for a cheaper solution.

Thanks for any help

I read that post like 5 times and I still don't understand what you're asking. :p

Web page layout in today's age tends to be controlled primarily by the CSS coding, and yes it'll muck things up when someone designs a site layout that's "best" at a given resolution which lacks some dynamics (aka you resize the browser and the content of the page still remains at a given layout).

Personally, I can't understand how people with super high resolution screens (at least 1600 pixels wide and higher) do run their browsers full screen - I have a 1680x1050 panel in this Dell Latitude D830 of mine (15.3" LCD) and I rarely if ever maximize the browser to full screen. I keep it roughly at about 1100-1200 pixels wide most always (and roughly 800-900 pixels tall), sometimes I might widen it a bit but, never would I dream of leaving it full screen 24/7. The only time I do bounce it full screen is when viewing some websites with large images, like when hunting for wallpapers, etc, but as soon as I'm done, it's right back to the "stock" size I prefer.

I see folks with 1920x(whatever) screens or even higher resolutions with full screen browsers and the content on the page is this tiny column down the middle with almost half the screen space wasted on either side... seems a bit ridiculous to me but whatever. :D

I don't think there's much you can do about all websites in general except deal with what they're putting out. If you're really so inclined, you could use Scriptish to create custom CSS layouts for any given website you like which could/would override whatever the website is feeding you - that gives YOU the control over how a site is laid out, but it's not an easy solution and does require some effort on your part.

Haha, yea I guess I can try to explain better :p

Basically like in Word you can change margin size in the document so that there is for example 2 inches of white space instead of the standard 1 inch. I was looking for a way to change text in a website in that way.

For websites like gmail I have to use a bigger window size to make everything fit correctly but I read a lot and so when I read a journal or user story on a website with just plain text (no images) I find myself having to make the window thinner (portrait dimensions) in order to be able to read more book like.

I'm not sure how I can explain better, sorry.

Then using Scriptish or Stylish would be the recommended tools, probably leaning more towards Stylish at this point, and learning how to customize it so the site(s) where you want a particular layout are "forced" to become the way Firefox displays them according to your chosen style of that layout.

Sounds complicated, and it can be at first, but once you learn some of the ins and outs of either of those addons, they become very powerful tools to customize exactly how any given site will look in your browser.

Hold down the control key while using your mousewheel, and Firefox will zoom the page in and out. Control + and - also does this. Assuming you're using FF5, tap the alt key to get the menu bar, select View, then select Zoom to see the options - you would want to leave "Zoom Text Only" unchecked. Is this not what you want to do?

Well I don't want to make the text larger/smaller, just in a better reading friendly format. I'm trying out Stylish right now and so far it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for :) really great that I can apply it to the website itself too.

I just use one simple script that is just perfect for me :
p{
margin-right: 15%;
margin-left: 15%;
}

Thanks for the suggestion Joe

Back