For those who have dry iced before!!!

Gavinni

Limp Gawd
Well I've got all the stuff ready, but I have a question. The only copper pipe i can find is 1 1/2" wide. It seems that the 1 1/2" tube is just really skinny, could you be able to fit the dry ice in there fine? How big do I need it? Any suggestions? Also, what kind of ethanol or acetone would I need? What percentage concentration? Thanks! Any other tips would be appreciated.

you'll need a bit wider.. a narrower tube will just fluctuate temps wayy too much.

also, the concentration has to be enough that there is enough ethanol, and it's right above the stage where it'd bubble but it's not.

By concentration i meant like 91% ethanol? 91% acetone? 90% isopropyl? Or what?

Dry ice is -78.5C at atmospheric conditions.
You need a liquid that freezes below -78.5C.

Methanol: -97C
Acetone: -94.9C
Isoproyl Alcohol: -88C

A 90+% solution of any liquid should do fine. 99% is preferred.

as high concentration as you can..

even if you have a liquid that freezes below dry ice freezing temperature, you are still going to get slush.

slush = bad

how can that be? if the coldest point in the system is the dry ice surface, and that is below the freezing point of any of the liquids, then no solid phase should form, right?

K2Rage101 said:
how can that be? if the coldest point in the system is the dry ice surface, and that is below the freezing point of any of the liquids, then no solid phase should form, right?

it happens.. usually when you have too much dry ice

Back