For the CCTV experts: Problems with night-viewing on new camera install

minc3d

Gawd
Hey guys,

For those who know their CCTV equipment, I've got a question for you all. I just recently helped a friend install a 4 camera CCTV system on a residential home connected to a Q-SEE DVR unit. Everything is working great except for the image we are getting at night due to a what seems to be issue with conflicting light off the built in IR LEDs and natural light from the home's front lamp post and exterior lights.

The cameras we purchased are these 1/3" HR 0 LUX dome cameras with Sony CCDs: http://www.gadspot.com/p-69-gs640b.aspx

The DVR is the following by QSEE: http://www.buy.com/prod/q-see-qt428...video-recorder-h-264/q/loc/101/217152028.html

First camera: views the entire lawn and seems to be "washed out" in a strong white tint, presumably from too much IR overexposure. There is a lamppost in sight that is on most of the night, and we believe the lighting from each source are causing this.

Second camera: views the driveway but it placed close to a large tree that is in focus and covers about 1/3 of the camera screen. At night, the tree is constantly lit by the IR LEDs and there is no other focus other than the tree that stands there in front of the camera.

Is there any way to adjust the cameras so that the IR LEDs do not come on so we can get a proper clean image at night? During the day, all 4 feeds are just fine and without issue. Thanks everyone!

are these ip cams ? Or do they have a switch on them for the ir to be turned on or off ?

You're probably right on the IR washout, but do you have any example pix to confirm? Also, what range are you viewing/recording?

1) The cameras are all RG6 based coax cameras, not IP webcams.
2) The targeted distance for the troubled cameras in front of the home is between 25-60 feet at most.
3) The cameras do not have a physical IR switch on them.

The specs of the camera list the following features which may be part of the issue:

--> Automatic backlight compensatory function
--> Automatic tracking white balance

I don't have any example photos but could likely get some soon. Just imagine a night shot with IR turned on but the whiteness is so strong that it washes the entire image out. One suffers from the tree that is in view about 5 feet from the camera and the camera is focusing all of the IR light on that tree, without catching any focus outside of the tree. We are interested in what is beyond the tree not the tree itself.

Thanks for the help and any possible ideas are appreciated.

1) The cameras are all RG6 based coax cameras, not IP webcams.
2) The targeted distance for the troubled cameras in front of the home is between 25-60 feet at most.
3) The cameras do not have a physical IR switch on them.

The specs of the camera list the following features which may be part of the issue:

--> Automatic backlight compensatory function
--> Automatic tracking white balance

I don't have any example photos but could likely get some soon. Just imagine a night shot with IR turned on but the whiteness is so strong that it washes the entire image out. One suffers from the tree that is in view about 5 feet from the camera and the camera is focusing all of the IR light on that tree, without catching any focus outside of the tree. We are interested in what is beyond the tree not the tree itself.

Thanks for the help and any possible ideas are appreciated.

Have you tried or can you try taking the dome off ? Ive seen some cameras not work well with a dome on them the ir interferer with it and creates a complete white out.

Well if you look at the actual camera itself, it doesn't have any sort of removable dome to be honest, unless I am missing something:

69_1_.gif

The camera is built in a dome-like shape but does not have a protective dome of any sort. The glass over the IR LEDs and the actual camera imaging device are the only line of protection from the elements.

I've emailed the company that makes the cameras and hope to see if they know of any easy fixes. Wish I took a screenshot of the image off the DVR that we were getting so I could show everyone. But your comments about dome washout makes sense.

Well if you look at the actual camera itself, it doesn't have any sort of removable dome to be honest, unless I am missing something:

69_1_.gif

The camera is built in a dome-like shape but does not have a protective dome of any sort. The glass over the IR LEDs and the actual camera imaging device are the only line of protection from the elements.

I've emailed the company that makes the cameras and hope to see if they know of any easy fixes. Wish I took a screenshot of the image off the DVR that we were getting so I could show everyone. But your comments about dome washout makes sense.

sorry my bad, in your original post i read it wrong, looked like you bought the cam and that you put a dome over it, sorry.

Do you have a digital camera ? Maybe there is something in the area that is giving off extra IR, seen in many cases also.

Turn on your digital camera, turn it on to movie mode, point it in the direction at night and see if you can see anything, with your cam. IF so then something is lighting it up.

I sometimes do our site servey's at night, just for this cause. Had one situation customer next door bought some high powered ir lights for his security system and it lite up the whole block..

WONDERFUL suggestion and I will bring along my DSLR which is a Canon T2i (HD movie mode, full motion) so I can have a look. Thanks again!

I will see if this helps and it may indeed be the case. The front of the home is the only one with issues, not the sides of the house.

Any more suggestions are always appreciated.

WONDERFUL suggestion and I will bring along my DSLR which is a Canon T2i (HD movie mode, full motion) so I can have a look. Thanks again!

I will see if this helps and it may indeed be the case. The front of the home is the only one with issues, not the sides of the house.

Any more suggestions are always appreciated.

can you take a few pics of how its mounted etc etc and location ? if you want to keep private you can email them to me so i can help.

dash

Will do - I am going to the client's home in a few days. I will report back if we are still having problems after the IR survey.

Back