For a RJ-45 cable that has only 1 Ferret choke, which end would you use it in?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I've 2 of these RJ-45 ethernet cables, but each cable only has 1 x ferret choke on 1 end of the RJ-45, so:

Say 1 end is the computer, and the other end is the Router

or say 1 end is the cable modem, and the other end is the router

which ends of the above gears should I choose to put the ferret choke RJ-45 end in?

End at computer, end at modem.

Technically it doesn't really matter where they go, but the general theory is closest to the noisy source of transmission.

Please stop abusing your pets.

But if you think you really need to use a ferrite choke, put it closer to the end that goes in the computer.

I never use them.

The amount of noise to necessitate a ferrite choke for standard ethernet is ... astounding. Maybe you should try re-ending the cable first.

IIRC the ferrite chokes are typically included with equipment that needs to meet some specific standard which is now useless. I always chuck them (literally, they have a nice heft) and have never had any issues.

The amount of noise to necessitate a ferrite choke for standard ethernet is ... astounding. Maybe you should try re-ending the cable first.

Or move the computer away from large electrical transformers. (not wall warts).

Mounting the computer on a power poll isn't a good idea either.

If something like this is the reason you are using a choked cable, then apparently you are either a mad scientist.. or maybe a homeless dude that had to hack into the utilities for power.

What about the 2nd cable connection? The 1 from your cable modem to your router, which end should the ferret choke be?

I got these cables for free, so I may as well as it vs. the regular RJ-45 cables that I have

What do you do, or what interference are you subject to that makes you think you'll need a ferrite choke?

I haven't used a ferrite choke on anything since my old man stopped DXing, are you a ham?

What about the 2nd cable connection? The 1 from your cable modem to your router, which end should the ferret choke be?

I got these cables for free, so I may as well as it vs. the regular RJ-45 cables that I have

My first reply had that info

"End at computer, end at modem."

Honestly you don't need the cables.

Ferrite core on ethernet??? LMAO.....

We have tens of thousands of cables in data centers I visit frequently and not ONE ferrite core to be found.

Ferrite core on ethernet??? LMAO.....

We have tens of thousands of cables in data centers I visit frequently and not ONE ferrite core to be found.
No, he's using a Ferret Core :D Big difference. Who needs port security when you have a ferret protecting it on one end?

Seriously, OP, unless you are working with equipment that gives out a butt-load of EMI, they are not needed. Even then you probably wouldn't need them...

Creating noise to actually affect Ethernet is harder than one thinks.

I've shaken neodynium magnets around a cable, wrapped a 50 footer cable around a transformer and done other abusive things and the data transmission was not even affected. (just for fun). Do your best to avoid sources of noise such as running it away from electrical lines and if you have to, go perpendicular, but no need to go as far as a ferrite ring.

We have dozens of runs in the suspended ceiling at work that follow electric lines most of the way. No issues at all.

I agree, there is no need. The cables was given free w/ some old equipment for small office. I bet it's unnecessary even as a bundle cable on whatever equipment

Back