Folding with no HD?

embries

n00b
Joined
Jan 4, 2006
Messages
51
I've got a laptop with a dead IDE Header. The CD works (mostly) but HDs are a no go. What can I do to get this little guy running? I'll fold UD or F@H with it if I can get it running.

 
embries said:
I've got a laptop with a dead IDE Header. The CD works (mostly) but HDs are a no go. What can I do to get this little guy running? I'll fold UD or F@H with it if I can get it running.



I've been wondering how to set this up as well. The problem would be losing the data on a reboot. Maybe you could set it up to save to a flashcard?
 
If you have another tower laying around, you could set that up as a "fold server" (search the forum for it), and then it would save all the data to that HD. It does require a fairly complexlinux installation though. Otherwise, I beleive I may have seen somewhere around here about running it off of a thumb drive. Maybe get the linux version of FAH, boot into knoppix, and then run the client off the thumbdrive?
 
pcmcia ide card, maybe? would it boot off usb or firewire external devices?

 
might be able to get it to boot off a usb hard drive, but I wouldn't want to leave the hard drive. And for as old as this laptop is, I wouldn't want to buy a usb drive for it.
 
I know you can run linux from a cd image, but not sure if it still uses a hd for temp caching of files and such. If it doesn't, boot up a cd image, d/l f@h, and fold away on the thumbdrive.
 
Back
Top