Floor speakers

SocceRich20

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 4, 2003
Messages
2,512
I need to put together a pretty badass sound system. I need large floor speakers and a system that is loud enough for partys with more than 600 people. Trying to keep the budget to around $1,000 and am looking for some input as to what components and items I should use.

http://www.123dj.com/packages/pa/boom3000.html

Is this any good?
 
What kind of area are these parties in? Indoors or outdoors is going to make a huge difference. You might be better of buying dj speakers which are already having the amp built in. You just plug it up to mixer and party. Couple of those with a sub would be good.

I would search for wedding dj, club dj forums for suggestions also.

Indoors, outdoors, apt etc is a big variable when deciding speakers. What kind of music? Do speakers need to be sturdy incase people sit on them. Are you having dj's, bands, cd player providing the music?
 
That system you listed would work. I would also look in to Carvin, since I can personally say that they make some great speakers for the money. Our church uses these and they fill an auditorium of 500+ just fine.
 
That system you listed would work. I would also look in to Carvin, since I can personally say that they make some great speakers for the money. Our church uses these and they fill an auditorium of 500+ just fine.

nice. can those be used for a home theater setup?
 
I've never thought Peavey speakers sounded very good, but they are cheap and they get the job done. If sound quality is a concern, look elsewhere.

I've had very good experiences with the JBL EON 15 and the Mackie SR-450. Both are a little high for your price range, but remember that these are both powered speakers and you don't need to worry about buying amps if you haven't done that yet. You can also go the next model down with each of those and not lose a whole lot.

nice. can those be used for a home theater setup?

Those speakers can be used for just about anything, but keep in mind that they are going to have a 1/4" inch input plug rather than standard speaker terminals so you'll likely need to find some custom cabling. It's also going to take some serious power to drive it.
 
I need to put together a pretty badass sound system. I need large floor speakers and a system that is loud enough for partys with more than 600 people. Trying to keep the budget to around $1,000 and am looking for some input as to what components and items I should use.

http://www.123dj.com/packages/pa/boom3000.html

Is this any good?

edit: I was going to suggest http://www.cerwinvega.com/ but I dont think that will cut it for your needs. THe DJ systems people recommended seem to be your best bet.
 
nice. can those be used for a home theater setup?

They definitely could be, however I'd think that they're rather large for the typical home theater set up. Physically they're big, and we're powering it with a 275watt/channel amp.
 
Passive Loudspeaker ?

what does that mean? google didn't help much

That means that they need an external amplifier.

For simplicities sake, you might want to look into active loudspeakers, which means the speakers have an amp built into them. These will only require cables from the source to the speakers instead of from source --> amp --> speaker.
 
Back
Top