Flashing my router

Carp

Limp Gawd
Hey all!

Is it ok to flash my WRT54GS version 6 router with DD-WRT?

Also, is there a step-by-step guide on how to do it?

Thanks alot!

WHen I try the first step in flashing (using the vxworks_prep_v03.bin file), it says "Upgrade are failed!"

Any idea's?

Yeah, I'm using that guide also.

I am getting that error I stated above.

Well, I got it all setup!

PROBLEM!!!

I dont think it power cycled after the flash.

I can connect to the router (all the lights are blinking) locally and get an IP address.....but the router wont connect to the WAN.

Anyone have this kind of problem?

Thanks!

I've done several v6's with that guide without any problems.

Are you using the micro generic firmware or the WRT54G micro firmware?

After doing quite a few DD flashes....sometimes it doesn't take well on the first soft reboot. Often a hard reset (that reset button) is required.

Also on a couple I've noticed the DHCP doens't enable by default. //shrug So I've have to manually set my IP to something like 192.168.1.10..log in..turn it on...then I'm set.

DHCP is fine......

I cant get a WAN IP on the router!

I thought it was kind of odd that the first address the DHCP server gave me was 192.168.1.126

Try unplugging the power to your cable/dsl modem for a couple of minutes and resetting it if it has a reset button.. I know some modems will give you trouble when you disconnect one router and reconnect another without powering it down first.. Same thing for going from usb to ethernet and back.. Maybe the modem sees the router as a new device since the firmware update.. Long shot, but maybe..

Carp said:
WHen I try the first step in flashing (using the vxworks_prep_v03.bin file), it says "Upgrade are failed!"

Any idea's?

LOL..."Upgrade are failed".....amusing attempt at grammar by the DD programmers.

THERE WE GO!

I've got a WAN IP after I reset the modem..

NOW....It says there are no wireless networks found on my laptop (laptop is abour 12 inches from the router right now).

It seems that I have wireless enabled on the router too!

I have it in Mixed mode and enabled on the radio buttons but nothing!

Any idea's here??

Thanks alot [H]

Check that!

I had my wireless on my laptop off for some reason..

Thanks for all the help [H]!!!

YeOldeStonecat said:
LOL..."Upgrade are failed".....amusing attempt at grammar by the DD programmers.

That would be by the Linksys programmers actually.

Back