Fixing a heatercore

Duke3d87

Limp Gawd
I have compilied a collection of heatercores for my last revision of watercooling. The problem is that my third heatercore (1977 Chevy Impala) leaked when it was given to me. I want to use the heatercore. I made a thread here (http://www.xoxideforums.com/showthread.php?t=36798) and wanted to know your opinion. They said to epoxy it. Do you really think i should do that? I was thinking about it and am not really sure. I want to make sure that it is watertight.

Yep, epoxy does the job. Matter of fact, that's the standard way of fixing aluminum car radiators, and they have a lot high temperatures and pressures than we deal with. Just have to make sure to pick one that's waterproof.

Link is broken.

Make sure the area around the repair is clean of oxidation and grease. Use a fairly gooey epoxy, so you don't have a bunch of it end inside the rad (if your epoxy is runny, let is sit for a moment and thicken).

HeThatKnows said:
Link is broken.

Make sure the area around the repair is clean of oxidation and grease. Use a fairly gooey epoxy, so you don't have a bunch of it end inside the rad (if your epoxy is runny, let is sit for a moment and thicken).
Thanks for your help. i bought some epoxy from sears today in hopes that the heatercore would be leak free. I sealed the places where i thought it leaked. I blew on one end and held down the other end. air still came out :( i found out that it also leaked in places where i couldnt reach :(

Duke3d87 said:
Thanks for your help. i bought some epoxy from sears today in hopes that the heatercore would be leak free. I sealed the places where i thought it leaked. I blew on one end and held down the other end. air still came out :( i found out that it also leaked in places where i couldnt reach :(

why not just buy a new one? What is it 25 bucsk?

I(illa Bee said:
why not just buy a new one? What is it 25 bucsk?
cause i already spent so much money and i already have two other rads/heatercore and a loss of one would suck, but its not the end of the world. I've come up w/ a new way to fix it and i'm hoping it will work. One thing that sucked my funds was a new AthlonXP 2600+ (mobile) and now i'm broke and in debt w/ my parents.

where is the leak? is it around the fittings? near the edge of the tanks? edge of the fins? deep within the dark recesses of the core?

got a pic of where the suspected leaks are located?

weapon-- said:
where is the leak? is it around the fittings? near the edge of the tanks? edge of the fins? deep within the dark recesses of the core?

got a pic of where the suspected leaks are located?
it was around the fittings, but i fixed it (still proud of myself :D) and now its deep within the dark recess of the core. I just hope its not too deep.

hold it up to a light source and look thru the fins where you think the leak is located - look for anything that looks like a torn piece of metal. It might just be a small hole in the side of one of the channels where the metal from the channel meets the fins. If it is in the middle of the core, fixing it can be a royal PITA experience. I have fixed a couple like that with a torch and solder but it ain't easy - a big plug of epoxy might do it.

test the hell out of it after the repair.

Back