Five Things To Fix The Zune

HardOCP News

[H] News
Engadget has posted five handy fixes for Microsoft’s Zune. Nothing on the list is unreasonable and all are completely within the realm of possibility.

Stop promising bug fixes and vaporous new features, and stop talking about future Zune products when the current product is ailing. Here are five simple things Microsoft should do to fix the Zune right now, and even make it into a somewhat aggressive contender in one of the most cutthroat gadget categories.

I like all the ideas posted. I wish they made it easier to sync, create playlist, use podcast.
There should have thier own software to use podcast. I want the ability to delete a song off my zune from my zune. Also like many other have said, have the ability to transfer songs from my computer wirelessly. I never thought there would be a sale on zunes so when I saw one I grabbed it. You can't beat 179.99. Sorry ipod not this round. All I need now is more space.

MS make smart marketing decisions on the Zune !!???! Get out of here ! :p

MS actually support the Zune properly,and give it a few features that arent crippled from the start? You are crazy ! :D

Ok, here's my two bits...

For one, don't lower the price - companies don't make money like that. If Apple wants to keep their margins tight, that's Apple's decision (and they can make that decision because they have the quantities to effectively reduce cost, which the Zune does not).

But here's the two: nobody caters to the videography market when it comes to MP3 players. Most guys are using old, discontinued iRivers as backup recorders (with live events, it's nice to have a cheap emergency backup running at the same time) because they had decent line-in recording. I hate this trend that major players have right now...please, just stop with the add-on docks and give us line-in. The docks don't sell well anyway!

While you're at it...

-make it to where you can select what bitrate to record at (MP3, not DRM'd WMA)

-put a live stereo levels meter on the screen when you enter record mode

-have adjustable gain right there in the same controls area

-have a running recording timer as well

-make it easy to lock the face controls (with a switch or something)

-make sure that when it's in record mode, that what is coming in through the mic goes out to the headphones (live preview for sound checks)

-make it simple to drag and drop the files on and off (even on a mac), and that's it.

So, let's review...add some basic software programming, possibly a lock button, and a line-in mini-jack (mini-mini jack might even work), and you'll have a successful product because you'll be helping out a very interested (not all wealthy, but they WILL buy) niche market who will make your product a success on ITS RECORDING FEATURES ALONE.

After that, sit back and profit from a nation of wedding and event videographers who are tired of paying hundreds, if not thousands more for simple MP3 recorders in big, bulky packages. The SD card slot wouldn't be necessary (although it would be nice) as long as it had 2gb of flash-based storage and decent battery life.

Ok, that's my rant. I almost thought about using the MP3 player from Make and modifying it to work, but it would probably still be too bulky after it's all said and done.

Id just like to see a single other Zune user with the wireless function. One time. Its yet to happen. I even went to the MS Vista/Office 2007 launch event, trying to find another user of one. Nope. But they were giving a few away.

Other than that.. I like the device. It has its issues (random reboots when plugging in the headphones or pulling them out, at least for me). Syncing doesnt always go smoothly. It just stops sometimes in the middle of a sync, no errors.. just keeps spinning its wheels like its still working. The album tagging / editing leaves a lot to be desired. It can just randomly assign track titles and what not to songs if you leave it at the default settings. Left me hours of retagging my mp3s by hand. Fun.

I like the ideas, but again it's the same crap they asked Apple to do with the iPod.

So unless Microsoft is *that* much of an Apple hater... this stuff won't happen.

Back