First time TECing

medel

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking about trying for a TEC system for my CPU, and am wondering how awful an Apogee is to cool the hot plate/side. The cold side (and I'll be sure to get a cold plate) will be on a topless 165.

Other question is about sealing: what should I use to seal the pin holes for my 939 socket? Is there anything home-depot-able (read: cheap) or should I be buying dielectric grease online? I kind of assumed that if I make a neoprene guard around the outside and then fill the inside with pretty much anything that will be ok, but I wasn't sure about the pins due to needing electrical conductivity (apparently computers are bad without it!).

Anywho, everything should be coming over the next week+. I'll be sure to post pics/temps/video of the ensuing fire. :D

You should be fine running an Apogee. It's considered one of the top three choices: Maze4 and MCW600x are the others.

I wouldn't recommend using anything besides dielectric grease, because there are no guarantees as to its electrical properties otherwise.

yeah, dielectric grease was cheaper than I had remembered (had somehow remembered it being about 5 times more expensive...) so that's what I picked up. Just waiting for the good fellows at UPS and Fedex to bring me presents. :D

Forget the dialectric grease and grab some plain old vaseline. It's cheaper, MUCH easier to clean off, and works great. I use it all the time with phase change systems and dry ice tubes and know of lots of others that use it with ln2.

Too late! :D Just waitninng until monday for a few more parts (cold plate being one of them) and then I'm off to ruin my comp. should be fun.

medel said:
...and then I'm off to ruin my comp. should be fun.

LOL...thats the spirit!!! :p Good luck and keep us posted on your results. What size/wattage pelt are you going to use?

Bloodgod42 said:
LOL...thats the spirit!!! :p Good luck and keep us posted on your results. What size/wattage pelt are you going to use?

This was yesterday....

which means his house if most likely on burned down now :eek:

Well, it's too late to get pics up today, but bios temp I got down to q534 (-2C?) in about 5 minutes of waiting. Load temp is only 10C lower than without the pelt (running 2 instances of folding) (34C) @ 2.7 (300HTT). My water cooling can't handle it at all, apparently. Once I get a new pump I'll take my video card off of the loop and put it with the old pump on a BIX120. Should help a lot.

Also the pelt is some POS off of fleabay, so exact wattage unknown. (says "50mm/245-320W")...

*edit* the comp is in some friends' apartment so they're the ones that are screwed when the building turns oven. I get to watch from a block away. :D

Back