First time SFF, please help.

Donnyboy

n00b
I've built several PC's myself, but this is my first SFF. Also this is my first system with a Nvidia chipset (I've used via and intel only in the past). I am building this system for a friend, these are the specs I am looking at so far:

Shuttle SN45G Nforce 2 Ultra
AthlonXP 2500+ mobile
1X 512mb generic/micron DDR400
Sapphire 9800 Pro 128mb
Hitachi 7K250 160gb
DVD Burner (haven't decided which)

How does this look? Is the nForce 2 picky with ram? Will there be any heat/power problems? I will consider a 9600XT if the 200w isn't enough. Also I am considering a Thermaltake SmartFan II to replace the rear cooling fan. Please give me any tips or suggestions that I may need, thank you.

That looks pretty good. The Nforce 2 chipset is slightly picky with memory, but it tends to be fast stuff with tight timing that gives it trouble. You won't have any heat troubles unless that Thermaltake fan can't cut it, but it should. As for power, you are going to be fine. There are people who put insane amounts of things in their Shuttles without a problem.

The memory should run fine. I've run Samsung and Micron modules in my SN45G without issue. As long as the SPD can get the speed detection right on power up, you should be good to go. Everything else should work without a hitch. Heat should be fine as well since you are running a mobile processor. For comparision's sake, I'm running an AthlonXP 3200+ in the same box and pulling 44c under load (folding@home, gaming) so heat really isn't that big of an issue.

If you are concerned with temps, download Speedfan and raise or lower your fanspeed as the climate changes. Also, make sure you use some AS5 (Artic Silver) when installing the heatsink. The Shuttle will come with a heat spreader to protect the core, but unless you are paranoid about breaking the core, I'd go without it as the Shuttle ICE will have a bit better surface contact and allow heat to escape a bit better resulting in a 1-2 degree temp difference.

Regards,

-E

The only memory pickiness that I have seen has been with IGP, which isn't an issue with the SN45G.

jsu718 said:
The only memory pickiness that I have seen has been with IGP, which isn't an issue with the SN45G.

Same here. The SN45 has taken every type of memory I've thrown at it.

the@ntipop said:
...You won't have any heat troubles unless that Thermaltake fan can't cut it, but it should...

yes, that is true, i have one, but its crazy loud... to get some 'Cs off u can cut the grill, thats about 2, and undervolting that can get u about 5'C.... lapping, AS5 both can bring about 2...

i think that the 9800 should be ok... not sure tho... might want to look at the clearance.... they have a problem with clearance in XPC's because they have the AGP slot on the outside.

Thanks. If heat isn't an issue, I'll either keep the stock case fan or put in a nice panaflo. BTW I do plan on overclocking although nothing too extreme, most likely only a bit past 200fsb. This is for a friend, so I won't be there to downclock it If I happened to oc it too far.

I'ved heard of some sort of vdimm problem with newer SN45G's. As I understand, there won't be a problem if I keep near 200fsb and don't touch the vdimm settings.

Has anybody had expereince with Kingmax ram?

This is small but I'd spend a few extra bucks and get a seagate drive. They last forever, are quiet, and very very reliable.

Jaxx, the only way it is "crazy loud" on the Sunon fan is if you speedfan this to 100%, otherwise set the smartfan settings in BIOS to "MID" settings and its still very nice. If you are worried about noise, you can always void your warranty and cut the honeycomb fan grill out which restricts about 25% of the air being pushed out of the box as well as adding noise to it. Temps usually drop 3-5c while the noise of the Sunon drops quite nicely. Also, replacing the fan with a SilenX 80mm fan works quite well in case those changes don't quite do it for ya.

-E

Donnyboy said:
Has anybody had expereince with Kingmax ram?

I got some 2x256 3200 Kingmax...better than my geil PC3200 which wont do 400fsb at default voltages :( Damn GEIL! Too late to RMA it too :(

Back